Admiral D958S Refrigerator - Re-wire job

ms521356

Premium Member
Hi there,
The electrical cable insulation cracked on our Admiral refrigerator when we had to move it to do some cleaning. I'd like to replace the wiring as the fridge works great other than this.

I'm generally well-versed in electrical matters but I'm unsure of how these old fridges worked. I think I need to replace this small black box with the hole in it but there are no markings on it other than "Molex". Any suggestions or tips on what it is?

Also, anyone have info on the D958S model? I'm curious how old this thing is.

Thanks in advance.

fridge_wiring.png

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Could be a relay. We need better pics that are not so close up. Take 3 pics. Front of refrigerator with the doors closed, front with the doors open and one of the rear of the refrigerator that shows the machine compartment where the compressor is.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
ms521356 said:
anyone have info on the D958S model? I'm curious how old this thing is.
I have no personal knowledge of that model but I did find it listed in ads in old newspapers; August 28,1955 The Sedalia Democrat from Sedalia, Missouri and August 17,1955 Arizona Republic from Phoenix, Arizona.

JFYI

Dan O.

Last edited:

ms521356

Premium Member
Could be a relay. We need better pics that are not so close up. Take 3 pics. Front of refrigerator with the doors closed, front with the doors open and one of the rear of the refrigerator that shows the machine compartment where the compressor is.
I had to remove door to move it so I've got a separate photo of it.

I've attached the requested photos. The front photo isn't a great angle, sorry. Inside the compartment, there is a thermostat (at the top), a lightbulb, and the door switch (bottom).

Attachments

ms521356

Premium Member
I have no personal knowledge of that model but I did find it listed in ads in old newspapers; August 28,1955 The Sedalia Democrat from Sedalia, Missouri and August 17,1955 Arizona Republic from Phoenix, Arizona.

JFYI

Dan O.

Good find! Thanks! Tough to read the words but that photo looks very much like the fridge we have.

rickgburton

Staff member
Still can't see the compressor wire connections. Does the red, white and black wire connect to the compressor? Any other electrical devices by the compressor?

ms521356

Premium Member
Here are some better photos for those details. I've also done up a rough sketch on wiring diagram. The compressor has a cable with a 2-prong plug coming from it (fridge_compressor_cable.png). This plugged into the "black box" (fridge_blackbox.png, fridge_blackbox_pluggedin.png).

I expect the red wire is going to the thermostat and the black/white is for the door switch and lightbulb. I haven't pulled them out to see what is connected on their backsides yet.

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member
Take that cover off the compressor so you can see the three wire terminals on the compressor.
fridge_compressor_cable.png

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I think that Molex piece is just a terminal block with molded-in outlet, to plug the compressor wiring into. It probably isn't necessary. 2 of the 3 wires going to it are likely joined together inside the block.

JMO

rickgburton

Staff member
It's just a junction box with but before you start rewiring it here's a few things you should know. When wires get that old they are very brittle. If you look at it wrong the wire insulation cracks and falls off. The first thing everyone wants to do is replace all the wires. This is a can of worms best left unopened. I speak from experience. Here's the wiring diagram for your machine
R-1955 admiral wiring.jpg

ms521356

Premium Member
Unfortunately the wire insulation is already cracked. I want to continue using the fridge so I must replace the wires.

Any tips or cautions? Am I looking at a full tear down of the fridge or might I be able to use the old cables to pull through new ones?

rickgburton

Staff member
Hmm... you'll need to remove the green plastic breaker strips around the compartment to get to all the wires. "They're called breaker" strips for a reason so take your time and keep the super glue handy. It was common for a lot of old refrigerators, when they were assembled, they were wired first then sprayed with glue and then the insulation added over top the wires. Every machine is different.

ms521356

Premium Member
Any suggestions on a replacement for the Molex junction box? I can't seem to get it open without destroying it.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Any suggestions on a replacement for the Molex junction box? I can't seem to get it open without destroying it.
Not that it is an absolutely necessary component but drilling out one side of the centre rivet holding it together I think should allow the two halves to separate to get to the wiring inside. If still wanted, it could probably be held back together again with just a simple hut and bolt.

Or as Rick said, cut it out and bypass it using wire nuts or bell crimp connectors. The compressor can be directly connected. That's how all compressors are now.

Dan O.

ms521356

Premium Member
Wire nuts or crimp connectors is what I was thinking. Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm curious why they would have had the compressor plug in like this. What was their reasoning back then?

ms521356

Premium Member
Hmm... you'll need to remove the green plastic breaker strips around the compartment to get to all the wires. "They're called breaker" strips for a reason so take your time and keep the super glue handy. It was common for a lot of old refrigerators, when they were assembled, they were wired first then sprayed with glue and then the insulation added over top the wires. Every machine is different.
Is this the part you meant by green plastic breaker strips?

1582413641601.png

rickgburton

Staff member
That's them. If I remember correctly (and I don't always) there's enough space inside the cap to push it up enough to clear the bottom and then start there.
Snapshot_3.jpg

Last edited: