• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Admiral washer will not spin (LNC6762B71) - correct model #

ekoncepts

Premium Member
Hello,

I have an Admiral washer model #LNC6762B71 that will not spin in any cycle. We had an article of clothing get under the agitator and got stuck. I had to remove the agitator to free the piece of clothing. I re-assembled the washer and proceeded to see if the machine would complete a cycle.
  1. I loaded a very small load
  2. Set water level for a small load
  3. The water level filled to desired amount
  4. I used a clothes pin to depress the lid switch so I could watch
  5. The washer went through the proper steps: fill, wash, drain
  6. When it reached the spin cycle it would not spin.
  7. The agitator would still work, but the tub would not spin.
Also of note:
I tipped the washer up and the belt is intact no frayed edges and the motor turns.The tub will not turn manually at all.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, tilt your washer back and take the belt off, then turn your transmission pulley both ways, one way will make it agitate, the other way should make the tub turn, if the tub doesn't turn then the thrust bearing is bad.

Thrust Bearing Kit(Comes with complete installation instructions)
Part#12002213

When I worked for Montgomery Wards, I must of replaced at least 1 one these every week on their washers which were made by Admiral(Division of Maytag)

Jake<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ekoncepts

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the reply.

I did as you instructed, but would like to confirm what is happening is what is supposed to be happening.

Note: while waiting for your reply I have torn down the agitator and removed the tub to check for any obstructions. (none found)

Replaced the tub, but not the agitator for your test.

• Tipped up the washer removed the belt and turned the pulley clockwise the shaft would turn, but after a few rotations it would reverse itself.
  • When I changed and turned counterclockwise the shaft would again turn, but it too would reverse after a few rotations.

The tub would not turn no matter which direction I turned the pulley.

Question:

1. Would not having the agitator installed effect the results at all?
  2. Also, I checked with the local appliance parts/repair shop and they through out the question of whether the motor was reversing.
  3. Is that how it changes to the "spin cycle"?
  4. Timer not sending the signal?
If the above is correct, the motor doesn't appear to change directions, although I have not watched during a complete wash/rinse/spin cycle.

Am I over thinking the problem?

Just trying to eliminate any other possibilities before buying any parts. Because if it's a motor issue I will probably consider replacing this machine.

If is does turn out to be the Thrust Bearing that needs replacing the repair shop said there are 2 different series for that machine. But the schematic I found online for the machine does show a Series 17 & 22, but both diagrams have the same part # and description for the Thrust bearing. But they said the parts were different.

How do I determine which one I need?

Model # LNC6762B71
Serial # 20476957CR
Rev: 20

Thanks,
Harry

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Would not having the agitator installed effect the results at all?
No, it wouldn't effect the results.

Ok, it sounds like your transmission is bad, because you said when you turned the transmission pulley one way the agitator shaft moved back and forth, and then you turned the transmission pulley the other way, and it did the same.

But it shouldn't have done the same, it should have started to rotate the tub and not the agitator.

Did you keep turning the transmission pulley awhile to see if the tub would start rotating?

Jake

ekoncepts

Premium Member
Jake,

Did you keep turning the transmission pulley awhile to see if the tub would start rotating?
Yes I just did. I gave it about 10 - 15 revolutions in each direction and the tub didn't budge at all.

If it is indeed the transmission, is it repairable or am I asking for more headaches down the road?

ekoncepts

Premium Member
Jake,

I also have another question you might be able to help with.

If I decide to replace the washer my wife has been asking about a machine that can accommodate a smaller auxiliary tub that could slip over the agitator. I remember years ago my Mom had one of these. They were great for smaller loads or delicate wash. Any idea if anybody still makes washers that have this feature?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The transmission is replaceable, not repairable, but it would cost alot to replace, almost the cost of a new washer.

Those were the old GE models that you could put a smaller basket on the agitator, but they no longer make those.

Whirlpool, Kenmore by Whirlpool are good washers.:)

Jake

ekoncepts

Premium Member
Jake,

I am resigned to the fact that I will have to replace my washer. It just doesn't make sense to pay close to $200.00 for a new transmission, when I can get a new washer for a little more.

I appreciate all your help with resolving this issue. You also helped me diagnose the problem without spending any money. Just my forum fee.
The best $5.00 I've spent in a very long time. :)

Thanks again and hopefully I won't have to come back and visit anytime soon.

Harry​

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Harry, it would be better to just save the repair money for a new washer.:)

Jake