• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

FIXED Advantium blowing thermal fuse

Brian Degnan

Premium Member
Model Number
PSB9240DF1BB
Brand
GE
I have a 240V Advantium Microwave Combo that keeps blowing the thermal fuse that is attached to the magnetron. I've had the microwave for over a year, but it's only been installed for 3 months. The thermal fuse was replaced three times by a technician, and then I decided to look into the cause because it's obviously the symptom of something greater. The thermal fuse blows like clock work if the microwave is on for 2 minutes because the magnetron gets too hot. There exist a squirrel cage fan and damper assembly.

I have never seen the fan turn on. My questions are:
1 Should the fan turn on when the magnetron is running?
2. If not #1, when should it and how does it know.
3. Is it something else entirely?

Any advice would be welcome. I'm currently keeping a stock of thermal fuses. :/

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

Brian Degnan

Premium Member
The circulator motor is not getting 120V. I assume that it's the relay board then. I know that 2 of the other items on the relay board are getting power, so I guess that would point to a bad relay on the board. Things are too noisy to hear the "click". Could you point me at the part number of the relay board?

rickgburton

Staff member

jeff1

Staff member
there's an error in the GE documentation
Nothing new ;) :D
Thankx for the tip!

jeff.