• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Advice for LG oven (LRE30453ST/02) after relay board/power cord fried twice

toothpicvic

Premium Member
Model Number
LRE30453ST/02
Brand
LG
Hi there, first time posting here, hoping for a second opinion and/or advice. :)

A few months ago (early December), I noticed a burning electronics odor from my oven (LG LRE30453ST/02), and right after the oven would not heat up (glass top elements still worked). I called a repair guy, he came by, said it was a blown relay board, which was replaced along with the cord. It was working, he charged me $500 (CAD). He said he thought it was a power surge, not related to the oven.

About 3 weeks ago, same exact thing happened (burnt odor, oven doesn't heat). I called the same repair guy, he came and said there were some burn marks on the board, and the holding receptacle and power cord need to be replaced again.

Any advice? Should I give him the go ahead to replace the parts again (he said he wouldn't charge me labor), or just replace the oven all together? Any ideas on what might have caused it?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
JMO: The consensus among service techs is, LG is probably the worst manufacturer of major home appliances ever. Their monitors, TV's, and phones are great. I own several. However you couldn't pay me to take an LG appliance. Read into that what you will.

toothpicvic

Premium Member
Very much appreciate the feedback & input! Assume that if you were in my boots it's just time to cut my losses and get a new stove?

rickgburton

Staff member
Probably. I can't say yes because I don't know anything about your range except how to fix it. Amount of use, age, costs, past problems and repairs all factor in. Sometimes with repair costs you can reach a point of no return. $500 six months ago is a very short time. Most boards have a 90 day warranty or more. APP(AppliancePartsPros) has a 1 year warranty on parts but I don't know if they would give you a refund or another board. $500 is a lot of labor for an $85 board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

toothpicvic

Premium Member
thanks for the helpful links, guys.

do you think i'd be able to push back a bit on the repair guy and ask to return the parts as they should be under warranty?

any thoughts as to what might have cause the issue? does the power surge theory hold water, or is this just a case that LG is a pretty mediocre brand to begin with and this oven is end of life? would it be worth fixing and trying to get some sort of power surge protector for the stove?

rickgburton

Staff member
return the parts as they should be under warranty?
Call around to some places near you and find out what the warranty is on their parts. For some it might be only 30 days.
does the power surge theory hold water,
A power surge is a common problem for failed boards.
power surge protector for the stove?
No, it happens to a lot of appliances with boards when the power goes out. It's the voltage spike when the power comes back on.

toothpicvic

Premium Member
Call around to some places near you and find out what the warranty is on their parts. For some it might be only 30 days.

A power surge is a common problem for failed boards.

No, it happens to a lot of appliances with boards when the power goes out. It's the voltage spike when the power comes back on.
once again, many thanks for the reply.

if i were to cut my losses with this LG, should i be concerned with potential issues with the power supply frying other boards in the future?

rickgburton

Staff member
No, I don't think so. Make sure you use a new power cord on your new range if the old one shows any signs of damage.