• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

AEL06LXQ1 GE Window a/c recharge question.

91fox

Premium Member
Model Number
AEL06LXQ1
Brand
GE
Hello, I recently obtained this window a/c unit and it had absolutely no refrigerant in it... Looking at the bottom of the pan, I quickly realized why.... The previous owner I guess had tried to drill a hole in it to get it to drain... Well they hit a copper tube. I silver soldered the hole in the tube, and vacuumed the system down. The system now holds a vacuum. My question is however more so on recharging this thing... It takes r22, however I have no access to that refrigerant. I do however have access to r410a. Can I charge this system with r410a? It says on the sticker that it takes 9.17 oz of refrigerant. Would I require the same amount of refrigerant if I used r410, more, or less? Ideally I'm just looking for the most effective way to charge this system, that will be the easiest way as I have little experience with HVAC. Thank in advance for any positive feedback and assistance!

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
No. It is not a good idea. Best practice is to replace the copper lines (pipework). The pressure R32 exerts on the copper pipework is significantly higher than that exerted by R22.

jeff.