AER5830VAS0 oven not heating properly

jmcf22

Premium Member
Model Number
AER5830VAS0
Brand
Amana
Hi, yesterday I tried to bake something in my oven and it started working correctly (preheating to the correct temp). I went to check after a few minutes and saw that my oven thermometer was showing it dropped ~100 degrees. I then hovered my hand over the elements and they were warm but not hot. The oven continued to drop its temperature and it never recovered. I tested the oven today and the elements did get hot but never reached the preheated temperature (the oven continued to show the preheat symbol). From the little research I've done, it seems like it's the control board. Just wanted to see if that was correct. Thanks

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Turn the power off to the range. Pull the machine away from the wall and remove the back cover. Check the bake element and the broil element for continuity. Measure the resistance of the oven sensor (1100 ohms at room temperature). If the elements and sensor check good, restore power and set the machine to bake about 350*F. Measure the voltage at the bake element (220 VAC).

jmcf22

Premium Member
Did the bake element get red hot?
I just tested it and after a couple minutes of preheating, I see the bottom element getting red hot. After a few more minutes (while still preheating), I heard a low click and the element shutoff, but about a minute later it got hot again.

I also tested switching it over to Broil @ 500F. The preheat symbol went away and the oven did not increase in temp anymore. I switched it back to Bake and got the same result.

jmcf22

Premium Member
I just tested it and after a couple minutes of preheating, I see the bottom element getting red hot. After a few more minutes (while still preheating), I heard a low click and the element shutoff, but about a minute later it got hot again.

I also tested switching it over to Broil @ 500F. The preheat symbol went away and the oven did not increase in temp anymore. I switched it back to Bake and got the same result.
Not sure if the preheat symbol comes on with the Broil. I started the oven from room temp and the symbol did not come on for Broil.

jmcf22

Premium Member
Thanks for the troubleshooting steps. At the price of one of those, I may look into getting a new stove or getting my ERC repaired. Thanks again for the assistance.