AER5830VAW1 - Replacement radiant surface element not working

TomPers

Premium Member
Model
AER5830VAW1
Brand
Amana
Both front radiant surface elements burned out within one month of each other. I ordered replacement elements, and installed them. The right front element works with no problem. The left front element will not work. I have tested the infinity switch by swapping it out with the exact same switch on the right front circuit, and it works. I also swapped out the identical radiant surface elements, same result. I can get the right circuit to operate correctly, using either switch or either element, but I could not get the left circuit to operate, with either switch or element.

I then tested the continuity through the wiring from the left switch to the left element. The wires all seem to have the correct continuity, but I still get no heat on the element. The "On Indicator" Light comes on when I move the left switch to any "on" position, but there seems to be no current flow from the switch to the element.

Any suggestions for my next troubleshooting step?:wall:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The right front element works... The left front element will not work. I have tested the infinity switch by swapping it out with the exact same switch on the right front circuit, and it works.
Infinity switch? When a new cable TV company takes over. WAIT, that's Xfinity...LOL. OK, Am I missing something or did you miss something? If you swapped Infinite switches and the element on the left worked doesn't that tell you the switch is bad??

Surface Element Switch WP3149400
Surface-Element-Switch-WP3149400-01876908.jpg

TomPers

Premium Member
Rick, I don't know our source of confusion, but here's the situation. I have not been able to get the element on the left to work. I have checked each element and each switch using the right front circuit. Both switches and both elements worked there. I then did the same with the left front circuit. Again, I checked with each switch and each element. None of the possible combinations worked, although the left switch did activate the "On Indicator" light.

I then checked continuity in the left front circuit between the switch and the element. Continuity readings matched the readings on the good circuit. So, I know I have a good switch, a good element, and continuity between them.

What would you suggest for my next troubleshooting step?