AFD2535FES12 Amana Refrigerator Ice maker not working

yadog

Premium Member
Model Number
AFD2535FES12
Brand
Amana
Hi,
I have a 2013 Amana refrigerator with bottom freezer. It also has water in the refrigerator but has never been used. The ice maker stopped making ice. We went to the back of the unit and looked at the inlet value. We cleaned up the contacts and it started working again for about two months. We ordered a new dual inlet value and replaced. Still no ice! The freezer temp is at 6 degrees so it should be cold enough. What should be looking at next? The Latch?
Thanks for your help.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Remove the cover from the ice maker module (if it exists) and locate holes "L" and "N" Use your meter to check for 120 VAC across "L" and "N". If your meter indicates 120 VAC try to force cycle the ice maker. Use a short piece of insulated wire bent in the shape of a "U" and short holes "T" and "H" together. As soon as the ice maker starts the harvest cycle remove the wire.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, and if you do have 120 volts at L and N and you short T and H and the ice maker doesn't start cycling then its bad.

Note: On some models you will need to hold the door in while you short T and H.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
D7824706Q Replacement Icemaker

Let us know what you find.

Jake

yadog

Premium Member
Ok we did the above and it started the cycle. It has only made ice twice in a 24 hour period. So is the unit bad? If the bin is empty how many times should a icemaker cycle to fill a bin? Every 30 minutes until full?? Or Longer?

rickgburton

Staff member
The ice maker cycle isn't timed. The ice mold thermostat needs to reach a set temperature before it will start a harvest cycle. The ice maker heater turns on to release the ice cubes and that pushes the temperature of the thermostat way high and the fill cycle starts to lower it but it still needs time to reach the set temperature. There's also a lot of variables to consider. The freezer temperature needs to be at least 0°F or some ice makers won't work. The number of door openings and amount of food stored in the freezer can all affect the time between harvest cycles. If your ice maker use to make more than two harvest cycles a day and you're not having any cooling problems the ice mold thermostat is probably flakey and only working intermittently. Replace the ice maker.

yadog

Premium Member
We bought the replacement you recommended but the connector is bigger ours is smaller is there an adapter for it?

rickgburton

Staff member
What connector is smaller?? The connector that connects to the ice maker power module are all the same size on that style ice maker. Can you take a pic and post it here?

yadog

Premium Member
The first picture is the new ice maker and the four pin plug is larger than the 4 pin plug on the second picture which is the smaller four pin. The harness on the refrigerator is the third picture. My husband thinks we needed a bigger plug to the small plug. Sorry but now that he sent me the last picture I said all we need is an ice maker wire harness. It was not sent with the ice maker. My husband is an engineer and over thinks everything!! My apologies!!

Attachments

rickgburton

Staff member

yadog

Premium Member
Yes, it is the original ice maker in the refrigerator. Yes, it has a big end 4 pin to small end 4 pin that went into the ice maker.
Thanks for all your help!!:)

yadog

Premium Member
The wire harness was original to the refrigerator. Some sites say no harness, no cover and no arm when ordering an ice maker.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is odd, because the parts list didn't have a NOTE saying to order a new wire harness as well.

So, I'd just order the new wire harness too that Rick posted above.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
It's hard to tell from the pictures but it almost looks like the same connector on both ends of your wire harness.