FIXED AFI2538AEB12 Door doesn't close smoothly, makes a sound twice and shifts

doncaruana

Premium Member
Model Number
AFI2538AEB12
Brand
Amana
Just recently I noticed that my door makes this sort of pop sound twice when closing and each time seems to sort of shift up and down. Almost like it's rolling over something. It makes the sounds at probably about 75 degrees and 15 degrees from opening. So my first thought was the door closure cam. But then I looked closer at the door and noticed a little crack near the corner and cam (see the pics below). Near as I can tell, that's the whole $300+ door, not a replaceable part. So what I'm wondering is:
a) Is that little crack something I really need to worry about? Will I expect it to get a lot worse or cause any issues?
b) Can/should I put some kind of epoxy or something on it to try and prevent further growth or leave it alone?
c) Is that crack causing the popping or just a side effect of the same event that caused the popping to start? (I suspect the cause was my 14yo daughter leaning back while holding the door, not quite "hanging" on it)
d) It seems like the crack is under that metal plate and wouldn't need to be disturbed to replace the cam. Should I go ahead and replace the cam? Or is it likely the problem is inside the door itself and changing the closing cam wouldn't do anything?

door corner.jpgdoor bottom.jpg

Last edited:

doncaruana

Premium Member
At least the volume of the popping was new, if not the popping itself. Not quite sure which now.

I picked up the cam (the black one, which of course is way more expensive) and replaced it. At first, it made no difference but after opening and closing the door a few times, it's barely noticeable. I think the only thing else to fix would be the door itself (whatever is in that recess where the cam goes), so we're done fixin' on this! I think it's at least better, so all's well that ends well!