• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

AFU2067AWJ1 Amana Upright Freezer drain freezing

mfish23

Premium Member
Model Number
AFU2067AWJ1
Brand
Amana
I have an older Amana upright freezer that works well, but the drain freezes up, causing the water to drain into the bottom interior of the freezer and causing a block of ice over time. I added the copper wire in the picture to try and direct some heat down the hole a few years ago. (You'll see a bit of ice near the drain. I defrosted the unit overnight) This seemed to work margainly better, but didn't solve the problem. In the back, I noticed that the drain line travels up right at the drain, and then down. (Sorry for the dark picture) Would maybe directing the hose straight down solve the problem? I snaked the drain and it appears to be clear of obstructions. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6843.JPG
    IMG_6843.JPG
    278.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6844.JPG
    IMG_6844.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 20

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
A heat sink in the drain tube is usually a stop-gap measure.

Usually what happens is crud and scum build up inside the drain tubing, restricting its diameter and water flow through it. That reduced flow causes water to drain slower often resulting in it pooling in the trough where it freezes over when the cooling cycle begins again.

Try cleaning the drain tubing rather than modifying it.

I would suggest fully defrosting the freezer. Then using compressed air from the bottom to try blowing any obstructions up and out. (Cover the outlet in the drain trough with a damp cloth as lots of crud will likely spray out!) Flush it afterward with hot water from the top.

Sometimes a flexible cable can be used to scrap the inside of the tubing edges. If you try that method, be careful not to puncture the tubing at any bends. You will also not be able to do the whole length because of bends. Scraping could be done prior to the compressed air.

I do NOT recommend trying any sort of drain cleaner.

JMO

Dan O.

Last edited:

mfish23

Premium Member
Dan,
Thanks. I used a small bottle brush to clean the tubing and used the compressed air to get out the gunk. Ran some hot water through the tubing as well. I noticed that some of the water just sat in the elbow near the drain. I adjusted the tubing until the water ran out of the elbow. Perhaps this was part of the problem: the water was staying in the elbow, backing up the water empying into the drain and causing it to freeze.

Anyway, I put it all back together and started it up. I'll try to remember to report back in a few weeks to see if it draining correctly.