Agitator stiffness prevents spin after clutch/brake replacement

ThaDoctor72

Model Number
LSQ9010PW2
Brand
Whirlpool
I replaced the brake/clutch assembly after my WP would not spin or agitate. After the repair it worked great for a few days. Now, it agitates during wash cycle just fine, but during the spin cycle the agitator seems stuck or stiff, and if the clothes are resting on it, the tub will not spin.

If I manually spin the tub fast enough to centrifuge the clothes off the agitator, the tub will cycle through all the gears correctly and continue to spin up to full speed. Turning the agitator manually during the spin cycle seems stiff, and while it will turn, it just seems like it doesn't want to.

Is the agitator SUPPOSED to be stuck like this during a spin or is it supposed to be neutral? It's as if either the tub drive is not strong enough to spin against the brake of the agitator, or the brake on the agitator is stuck during spin mode.

Since I don't know the preferred mechanical operation, I don't know how best to phrase the question, sorry.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I replaced the brake/clutch assembly after my WP would not spin or agitate
Both should be just for spin and not really for agitate. Brake holds the drum still during agitation and the brake release and the clutch spins the tub.

During the spin the agitator should just go along for the ride. It is kinda like a neutral and just free wheels during the spin.
This might be a tranny/gearbox issue.

Transmission-3360629-00634726.jpg Gearcase for direct drive washer Manufacturer Number 3360629

4dd-01.gif

Hope something here helps!

jeff.