AGR5630BDS Deep cleaning a ~3 year old Amana range...

ps23Rick

Premium Member
Model Number
AGR5630BDS
Brand
Amana
Hi.. I was given, at no cost, an Amana range that Im told is about 3 years old. It was used in a rental and the tenants really never cleaned it and spilled stuff on it countless times and let it burn on. There's heavy grease and grime and the top of the stove has stuff burned & caked on. I've removed the top metal piece with the heavy grunge on it after removing the burners.

So, my question is -- what is the best and cheapest way, aside from elbow grease, to clean the deep crud off this thing? You can get a vague idea of the grime in the pics.. Interestingly enough the sides where it is usually pretty safe are pretty filthy -- like stuff was running down the sides from time to time. Yuck!

The first image shows the icky sides (ok -- one of the sides)
20180316_182118.jpg

The next one show the back -- looks like it just came off the factory floor.. lol...
20180316_132525.jpg

This last one shows the top where the caked on dried hard stuff is -- I don't want to ruin the enamel if possible..
20180316_131444.jpg

I know for cleaning BBQ grills in the past I've used ammonia in a plastic bag -- unfortunately I don't have that much ammonia nor a big enough bag.. lol.. I guess the thought of letting it soak for perhaps hours on end for the heavy stuff seems like a good way to go but to soak with what.. I'd prefer not to use oven cleaner if possible but...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I always recommend to my customers: Lots of baking soda and warm water.:)

Jake

ps23Rick

Premium Member
Thanks.. I got most of the gunk off that way today -- warm water, I think I used about a box of baking soda and lots of elbow grease. I'll be utilizing ammonia in a large trash bag to clean the gunk off the oven racks, stove grates and the top burner tray.. The burner tray I got much of the gunk off but it's soo thick and soaking only went so far. The ammonia ought to tackle it -- and yes, that'll be done outside and left for several days to do its business with the bag sealed.. I've occasionally done that with a BBQ grill and it works fairly well with minimal effort. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Rick.:)

Jake

ps23Rick

Premium Member
Just a quick followup.. I'm almost done cleaning this range. I'm completely amazed by the top where the worst crud build-up was present. Some of the stuff I got off there wouldn't even come off with a sharp putty knife without soaking it in white vinegar for more than a day. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself.

What I ultimately did, on the VERY cheap if you will, is to take small strips of paper towels and layer them over the entire top area wherever the build-up was present. I then applied the vinegar to soak the paper towels. Please do this in a place where the top piece is as flat as possible and also where any spilled vinegar won't make a mess -- I put mine on a big piece of cardboard.. I took mine off by removing a few screws accessible when the oven door was opened if I recall. Overall, it was time and patience and of course the vinegar that loosened up most of it. Yes, there was plenty of elbow grease but it wasn't particularly hard -- just time consuming. For the grates, knobs, oven racks and those flame diffusers (I don't know their formal name), I chose to soak them overnight in closed bags of ammonia which really did a number on the deep baked on crap. I've not yet taken a peek at the grates and oven racks -- I've got them in a black trash bag with about 1/4 gallon of ammonia, sealed afterwards due to the intense odor which you DO NOT want to do in your house -- I did mine in the garage -- make sure there's no open flames either. Anyway, I'll post some pics before this weekend is out..