AKT3040SS Whirlpool 12002422 switch wiring for electric cooktop

dashriprok

Premium Member
Model Number
AKT3040SS
Brand
Amana
The LF switch went bad on my Amana AKT3040SS electric cooktop. The FSP replacement switch 12002422 is completely different than the old switch and all terminals have different marking. It came in a baggie with no instructions. The old switch terminals are labeled 2, 3, 4, 5, N and the new switch is labeled L1, L2, H1, H2, P. Is there a cross reference somewhere?

I have the wiring diagram for this electric cooktop but it is either wrong or incomplete. The old switch has two separate BU/WH wires, one goes to terminal 3 and the other goes to a ground terminal but the wiring diagram only shows one BU/WH wire going to the LF switch.

On the new 12002422 switch there are 2 male spades next to the "P" terminal but they don't have continuity. Which is the "P" terminal?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Take a photo of your model number tag, there are more numbers on it we will need.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

You only said LEFT side in your first post, but you have 2 LEFT switches, FRONT and REAR.

The LEFT FRONT looks like a dual burner switch, the LEFT REAR is a single burner switch, which burner switch are you replacing?

If its the LEFT FRONT Dual burner switch, I see the problem, whoever you got that switch from didn't send you the proper switch.

Look here from RepairClinic, Surface Element Switch 12002422

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, I misunderstood.

Did you say that old black dual burner switch was in your cooktop??? Not that blue one(12002422) you received?

I think I found it:

--->On the original switch the number 2 terminal will go to L1 on the new switch, the N will go to L2 on the new switch, the terminal 3 will go to H1, the terminal number 4 will go to H2, and the number 5 will go to the P terminal on the new switch.

Try that and let us know.

Jake

dashriprok

Premium Member
Thank you Jake for the quick reply and excellent information. I still have two questions however.

On the new switch there are two terminals at the corner "P" location and they don't have continuity. Which spade terminal is the "P" connection?

Notice on the attached picture there are two BU/WT wires going to the old switch. One wire which comes from the LF burner goes to the "3" terminal of the old switch. Where does the BU/WT wire that's between "2" and "3" on the old switch go on the new switch? Note in the picture that the middle terminal between "2" and "3" on the old switch has a ground symbol. I tried checking continuity on the new switch to see if any terminal is a ground but found none. That second middle BU/WT wire goes from the old switch to the RF burner FYI.Amana cooktop AKT3040SS old switch-c.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On the new switch there are two terminals at the corner "P" location and they don't have continuity. Which spade terminal is the "P" connection?
I don't see two "P" terminal connections on the new switch, I just see one in my photo(post#4) of that new switch, and its located at the very bottom right side of the new switch.

Per your wiring diagram sheet you posted above:

YL is #5 on your old switch
--->number 5 will go to the P terminal on the new switch.

BU/WT is #3 on your old switch
--->number 3 will go to the H1 terminal on the new switch

BK is #2 on your old switch
--->number 2 will go to the L1 terminal on the new switch

BL is #4 on your old switch
--->number 4 will go to the H2 terminal on the new switch

RD is N on your old switch
--->N will go to the L2 terminal on the new switch

Jake