Amana ALW480DAW smoking

MRTAK

Premium Member
Model
ALW480DAW
Brand
Amana
Found basement full of smoke, but wash had completed. Opened cabinet, found slightly worn belt and a loose brake pad. (One of the bolts had dissappeard? Causing brake pad to bounce around randomly)
Installed new oem belt and retightened brake pad. During test wash, washer is still smoking.

Please advise on how to troubleshoot? I saw mentioned earlier / different thread about possible transmission failure... When I was replacing the belt, I did notice the trans pully rotates freely in one direction, but only about 2 turns in the opposite before it 'locks up' ... Is this normal?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It sounds like the transmission is locked up.

Yes, with the belt off you can turn the transmission pulley by hand, it will turn one way to agitate, it will turn the other way to spin the inner tub.

So when the transmission pulley turns freely that one way do you see the agitator moving back and forth?

Its also possibly something maybe stuck/jammed in between the inner and outer tubs, thus the transmission pulley will not be able to turn the inner tub to spin, so you might washer to see if something maybe stuck/jammed in between the inner and outer tubs first.

Unfortunately, the transmission is No Longer Available for this model: 12002178

Jake