• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Amana ARB220ZCW Warm Fridge, Cold Freezer

Rockleavell

Premium Member
Model Number
ARB220ZCW
Brand
Amana
Hi, bought this AMANA Fridge with bottom freezer several years ago, so unsure of age. Though Amana support had no digital manual available. Added storage in garage setting. Fridge is warm, and freezer is working properly. I pulled control plastic covers in fridge, and fan vent if full open. Pulled screen back of fridge over condesor fan and vacumned out some debris. Pulled cover over coils in freezer compartment. Some icing and drain appeared plugged with ice. Turned off, placed hot water inside freezer compartment and eventually poured hot water down drain....which flowed into pan below condenser fan. Put it all back together, freezer fan runs fine, but air flow into fridge occurs only when freezer door is open. SO, fridge is warm and freezer is cold. Any ideas out there? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
freezer fan runs fine, but air flow into fridge occurs only when freezer door is open.
Hi, You have a clog in your air tunnel going to the refrigerator section.

Just remove all your food from your freezer, then remove the selves and ice maker, if you have one, the remove the back panel, The Air Duct that runs from the freezer up to the refrigerator is located on the far left side of the evaporator behind that freezer panel, its a square duct tunnel, at times I find these clogged with ice/frost and not allowing air up to the Refrigerator.

Here's a photo of what it looks like with the inside back panel off, but you shouldn't have all the frost build-up on the evaporator coils, if yours does like this then we have a defrost part that's out that I can also help you with:

(click to enlarge)
inside2.JPG

Jake

Rockleavell

Premium Member
Thanks, on the road at moment and will give it a try when I return home Tuesday. I did originally turn off fridge for the night, and placed hot water in freezer compartment. I was thinking this would melt any ice issues or clogs in duct or drain, plus pouring hot water down drain? Any other thoughts on other repairs if this does not work? Wife is anxious as she runs part of her bakery supplies through this fridge. Cheers, Bill

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Bill, If the air tunnel from the freezer to the refrigerator section is clear then cold air has to be flowing up to the refrigerator section with the freezer door closed, if your evaporator fan motor is running, you see what I mean?

Jake

Rockleavell

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for ideas. Don't you love it when refrigerators fix themselves! Turns out there are two vents in bottom of refrigerator sections. We had pulled shelves and fruit/veggies trays out. Boxes were blocking vents, once moved, refrigerator cooled right down. Cheers, Bill

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Bill, good find.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake