• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Amana ARBS2117BS Troubleshooting help refrigerator/freezer both same temps not freezing

jstog92002

Premium Member
Model Number
ARB2117BS
Brand
Amana
Hello
I have an Amana ARBS2117BS refrigerator that recently increased temps in both freezer and fridge compartment to approximately 50 degrees. Both are identical temps. I replaced the gasket as the original began to leak as temps increased and I was able to see the defects in the gasket that I was none the wiser beforehand. I also “cleaned” the coils underneath, but it’s neatly impossible to get past the first fold of coils. I am curious if this is the issue.
Additionally, the thermostat and defrost timer have been replaced within the past 6 months and it does defrost. The cold temp therm seems to work as the unit will shut down if I adjust it all the way off.
Any ideas on what else I can tackle next?
Thanks,
John

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi John,

What's the P number of your model?

These are the two results I get:
Model #ARB2117BS-PARB2117BS0
Model #ARB2117BS-PARB2117BS1

Remove the back panel inside the freezer and take a photo of your evaporator coil and post it here.

Normal would be a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils from top to bottom.

Jake

jstog92002

Premium Member
It is Model #ARB2117BS-PARB2117BS1

Not at home at this moment, but when I’ve had the panel off, there was no layer of frost on coils. Only a little frost in the tubing above the coils. Zero frost on the coils.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Only a little frost in the tubing above the coils. Zero frost on the coils.
You have a sealed system problem John.

Look at the photo on the top right side and that should be what your describing with yours.
(click to enlarge)
Frost Patterns.jpg

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Time to go Refrigerator shopping, most appliances stores are already running their BLACK FRIDAY sales.:)

I recommend Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Amana.

Jake

jstog92002

Premium Member
That’s exact what it looked like.

I was afraid that’s the feedback I would get, but I do appreciate your response.

Thank you,
Happy Thanksgiving.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jake