Status
Not open for further replies.

billgould1

Premium Member
Model Number
BB20V1E
Brand
Amana
My three year old Amaza cabinet depth refrigerator/bottom freezer is operational, but the refrigerator is warm, while the freezer is totally functioning properly. I called the dealer (ABT appliance) for repair and was told that it was probably the damper. My bad luck that it's Saturday AM and they can't come until Wednesday. Are there any suggestions for self repair. I'm certainly not an appliance expert.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Any frost on the FZ back wall?

**I called the dealer (ABT appliance) for repair and was told that it was probably the damper**

-If- the damper was stuck closed, normally can access it at the back of the FF section and prop it open with something....marrette wire connector or small block of wood would work well.

**refrigerator/bottom freezer is operational, but the refrigerator is warm, while the freezer is totally functioning properly**

Some common trouble makers....

http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

jeff.

billgould1

Premium Member
Hi,

I'm not sure whether FF stands for frozen food or fresh food, but anyway, the back wall of the freezer behind the top bin had a plastic louvered area that is fixed. There is also a 2" square where the ice maker goes. Behind the bottom bin is just a sloped area - I think the condensor is behind that.

The refrigerator section has nothing on the back wall except at the top there is a control and the housing that has the control is rectangular with several oblong holes in it.

There is a modest amount of frost on the back wall of the freezer. Any advise you can provide would be great.

Thanks, Bill

billgould1

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,

I'm a little smarter now. I considered that you might mean the back wall of the unit, which is enclosed on one side with a wood panel and a cabinet on the other. By sitting on the floor and pulling from the front legs, I've been able to get the unit out so I can see the back wall, which is essentially blank at the top, but has a rectangular galvanizedaccess panel on the lower side of the back.

Anyway, I await your response and appreciate your time.

Bill

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
billgould1 wrote:
I'm not sure whether FF stands for frozen food or fresh food
It depends on the manufacturers but usually FC = Freezer Compartment, FF = Fresh Food or PC = Provisions Compartment (ie. FF compartment).

the back wall of the freezer behind the top bin had a plastic louvered area that is fixed... I considered that you might mean the back wall of the unit... By sitting on the floor and pulling from the front legs, I've been able to get the unit out so I can see the back wall
The "evaporator" (cooling) coil is behind a panel at the rear, inside of the freezer compartment.

When a defrost problem occurs frost will build up in that evaporator coil sometimes to the point where frost will also form on that back wall/panel (inside the freezer compartment). Sometimes however, that rear evaporator cover has to be removed to investigate an excessive frost accumulation.

the refrigerator is warm
Is the fan in the freezer compartment running when the compressor is?

BTW. While you have the fridge pulled out, it would be a very good idea to clean the condenser coil (beneath the fridge) *thoroughly*. While it isn't likely the cause of your current problem, the condenser needs to be clean to enable the fridge to operate as well as possible while consuming the least amount of energy.

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

billgould1

Premium Member
Hi Dan O & Jeff,

There is very little frost on the back wall of the freezer section. I'm straight on FF and FZ, so I'm learning. Anyway, I now think the damper is behind the little rectangular housing on which there is the FF temperature dial. I've removed the dial and have started to pry this housing off. It appears tobe held by taps and hopefully is made of the kind of plastic where you can pop it off without breaking the tabs. I've stopped part way, hoping to be reassured about this by you or Jeff.

Let's assume I can prop the damper open with a wire nut - obviously that's not a fix. It wouldn't be a moveable damper if it had no function to close - right? My primary issue is to get a cooled off refrigerator until the appliance guy comes next Wednesday, but if I could fix it without difficulty I wouldn't mind.

It would be great if you'd let me know what my goal here should be and a little more advise on the details of how to achieve it.

Thanks, Bill

jeff1

Staff member
**Anyway, I now think the damper is behind the little rectangular housing on which there is the FF temperature dial. I've removed the dial and have started to pry this housing off. It appears tobe held by taps and hopefully is made of the kind of plastic where you can pop it off without breaking the tabs. I've stopped part way, hoping to be reassured about this by you or Jeff**

That the air damper....
AM30708.gif

#261 DAMPER CONTROL KIT

#231 KNOB, CONTROL

#321 COVER

#261 DAMPER

**Let's assume I can prop the damper open with a wire nut - obviously that's not a fix. It wouldn't be a movable damper if it had no function to close - right?**

Yes and yes....temporary try/repair.

Link>Thermostatically controlled damper assembly

jeff.

billgould1

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,

Excellent help - unfortunately the damper is open, so I don't really know what else to check.

Thanks,

Bill

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
billgould1 wrote:
unfortunately the damper is open, so I don't really know what else to check.
Is the fan in the freezer compartment running when the compressor is running?

There is very little frost on the back wall of the freezer section.
If there's any, it might be a sign of a defrost problem. An actual inspection of the evaporator coil may be required to see if there is an abnormal build up or not which could be restricting air flow.

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
=D~~~~~~

jeff1

Staff member
G'day,

**There is very little frost on the back wall of the freezer section**

....and the cooling/evaporator coils looked like?

evap-progression.480x93.gif
(click to enlarge)

Above pic from Appliance411

Belowpic from ApplianceAid

364a.jpg

Freezer2.jpg

Similier to any of these?

jeff.

billgould1

Premium Member
I didn't take the panel off to look at the coils. The repairman finally showed up (at the time agreed) and although the coils looked fine the sides were iced up solid, which he said was the air return. He speculated that the defrost thermostat was functioning irregularly and replaced it. I took my frozen food to my neighbors, unplugged the unit for a day and today it works - hope my neighbor didn't eat all our food. Thanks for your assistance!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
billgould1 wrote:
He speculated that the defrost thermostat was functioning irregularly and replaced it... unplugged the unit for a day and today it works
Glad to hear it but it could take up to a week for such a condition to present itself again. Keep an eye on it for a while yet.

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
=D~~~~~~

jeff1

Staff member
Thankx for the update! :)

jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.