Amana BX21TW Bottom Freezer doesnt turn off at temp

loops

Premium Member
Model Number
BX21TW
Brand
Amana
Hi, I was hoping that someone could confirm some information for me? I have an amana bottom freezer fridge. It is a great fridge and seem to be going strong. It now seems to be on all the time. The dial in the freezer is set at 3-4. After it has been running for a while you can turn the dial to off and the fridge will click off. If you turn the dial all the way up it fridge does not click back on because it is too cold. If the freezer door is open for a couple of minutes and warms up a bit you can then turn the dial up and the fridge will click on. When you turn the dial to off it clicks off. To me it seems like this dial is working but the fridge is running too long and getting too cold. Some veggies in the fresh food section on the bottom left have been freezing too.

I was talking to a repair guy that said I need to change the damper control. He said that there is a thermostat on that control too and it is probably bad and that if it was working the damper would close when the fridge was cold enough and food would not be freezing. He also said this is why my fridge is running too long because it doesn't know that the fresh food part of the fridge is cold enough. I asked him this question "so I understand if the bottom thermostat is working it will turn the fridge on and off if the freezer needs to cool down. Also, you are saying the thermostat attached to the damper control will sense when the upper part of the fridge isn't cold enough and will turn the fridge on and off." He said that this is correct.

I am asking if this seems right as the part is no longer available. Many parts for this fridge are still available but this one is not. I did find one but it is very expensive. Before I buy it and have it shipped I thought I would ask a second opinion. Thanks in advance

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I'd first buy a freezer thermometer and take the temperature inside the freezer. Most grocery and home stores(Walmart, Target) have them, get the liquid or digital style.

Normal freezer temperature would be between 0 to 10 degrees. If its going way below 0 then yes the problem would be the temperature control thermostat.

Here's the temperature control thermostat for your model:
Temperature Control Thermostat W10752646

Jake

loops

Premium Member
Hi,

So you are saying that the running too long before turning off and freezing produce is not due to the damper control box and the thermostat connected to this same damper control box?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, read post #2 again, its very clear what I said to do.:)

Jake

loops

Premium Member
Thanks! I changed out the temperature control thermostat. Same part you. listed above. It looks a bit different than the one that came out. Wire connects are in a different place. Does it matter which one is top or bottom? First picture is old switch and the second is the new switch. I figure it doesn't matter where they go but thought I should double check.

B01A03C3-34D3-4B45-99DB-10D7743A55A5.jpg 442BB627-B2CF-4044-90A8-21ECEACD9775.jpg

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It does not matter which wire you put on which terminal when your dealing with VOLTS AC.:)

Jake