FIXED Amana defrost thermostat installation location?

jkhasson

Premium Member
Model Number
SQD25VW
Brand
Amana
Our Amana side by side fridge/freezer recently stopped cooling well. After much troubleshooting, I've narrowed it down to the defrost thermostat being bad. The compressor is running fine. The evaporator coils develop a nice, even coating of frost, but the evaporator fan never initiates. Freezer door switch works fine as well. I bypassed the defrost thermostat and the evaporator fan works fine. So, I replaced the defrost timer and the defrost thermostat. Herein lies my question.

When I removed the freezer panel to expose the defrost thermostat, the original thermostat was not attached correctly. It apparently had become dislodged from its attachment point and was hanging free (possibly the cause of the problem?). The thermostat has a clip for attaching to something. Where should I attach the new thermostat? Directly to the evaporator coils? Directly to the evaporator tubes? The unit has been running for about 12 hours now with the new thermostat, but the fan still is not running. The thermostat is not attached to the coils or tubes. Is this my problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Photos would be great!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jkhasson

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I saw that diagram before, but couldn't tell if the thermostat was connected to the tube or the coils. Thanks for the clarification. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

jkhasson

Premium Member
That was it! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The thermostat had to be attached to the evaporator tubes to operate correctly. LOVE savings several hundred dollars by fixing this thing myself.
Thanks for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Jake