FIXED Amana Dishwasher ADB1400PYW wash cycle not working

Chuck1212

Premium Member
Model Number
ADB1400PYW
Brand
Amana
Hi all,

I have an amana dishwasher that does not start the wash cycle. The machine powers up, fills water, heat rods come on, drains, all fine. Except that it doesn't start the wash cycle. I can hear a click noise to what seem as the machine prepares to start the wash cycle but then all I hear after is a motor hum. I've check drain filters, the spray arms and all I can access inside the tub and there is nothing stuck or blocked.

Question 1.
The house wiring is old and there is no ground wire, just two black wires from the wall. Does the motor require ground to properly work? The machine drains and I assume the same motor is used. So does that means it's fine without a ground wire to the wall?

Question 2.
Anything else I can check before I pull the unit out under the counter to check the motor underneath? The house tile work is raised about 1/2" above the floor which reduced the available height under the counter as well so it's a pain to have to pull the unit out unless required.

Thank you all!

Chuck

Chuck1212

Premium Member
FIXED - Amana ADB1400PYW wash cycle not working

Problem solved. Since the machine was purchased second hand and it had not been used in quite a long time, the wash motor temporarily locked up.

I had to pull the machine out under the counter, remove the wash motor assembly and give the impeller a slight push a few times to dislodge it. Put everything back and it's running fine now.

In case any one else run into this same problem, I'll answer my own questions.

Q1 - connecting the ground to a ground spot would be ideal but it works fine without connecting the ground to the outlet wire.

Q2 - only the filters were accessible inside the tub. Everything else that needs access were under the machine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sorry Chuck for the delay, swamped with service calls.

Good find! Glad its working now!

The old GE models did the same thing, when the dishwasher was not in use for a couple weeks the motor would stick, and one you unstuck it, it would run fine, but if it kept getting stuck every time you used it, then the motor would need to be replaced.

Here's the wash circulation motor for your model in case you ever need to order it:
Circulation Pump W10510666 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com

[video=youtube_share;94-C6I_89AE]https://youtu.be/94-C6I_89AE[/video]

Jake