Amana Dishwasher Popping GFCI

NHdishwasher1000

Premium Member
Model Number
ADB1500AWQ3
Brand
Amana
I have an Amana dishwasher model 777-0? It is a no thrills dishwasher, heavy load, normal load, light rince - dry yes or no.
About 2 weeks ago the dishwasher started popping the GFCI in a kitchen oulet. Apparently its connected & then ties my breaker. So sometimes it would pop, I'd reset, & it was fine. Recently it continued to pop 6 to 8 seconds as soon as arms spin.
I have noticed that the spray arm has metal underneath each end. That metal on one end is warn down & also lines up w/exposed metal on heating element. My thought, the metal piece is hitting exposed metal on heating element & shorting out. Does that sound possible? Oddly enough, sometimes I can run full cycle & it not trip at all. GFCI was just replaced. Thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

NHdishwasher1000

Premium Member
I see E71195 Type: 777-0
ADB1500AWQ3
NY3019130
I hear ya on the GFCI, but oddly enough it was working fine until just recently. After removing the heat shields on the spin arm thinking that was causing short, still poppong. Has to be something in controller maybe? Oddly it will start & cancel w/o issue. Once arms spin - PO!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
...it was working fine until just recently. ... was causing short...
It's not a short. A GFCI monitors the amount of current flowing from hot to neutral. If there is any imbalance, it trips the circuit. It is able to sense a mismatch as small as 4 or 5 milliamps, and it can react as quickly as one-thirtieth of a second. Over time the dishwasher motor begins to wear out. That's not to say it's bad, only getting old (Like me...lol). Check for any leaking on top of the motor. If there's no sign of any leaking the GFI is monitoring the current flow through the motor. The motor starts by energizing both the start windings and run windings. When the motor reaches about 70% of its operating speed the centrifugal switch opens the start winding circuit leaving the motor running on just the run windings. Because the motor is getting old, that change in amp draw is now enough to trip the GFI. Manufactures recommend not using a GFI on any appliance using motors with two sets of windings for just that reason.