• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Amana DRB1901CC Frost Issue

longhaul28

Premium Member
Good evening,

I own an Amana DRB1901CC fridge with the freezer located in the bottom.

Problem:
Freezer frosts up to the point that no cooling takes place in fridge portion. Prior to freezing up completely, left vegetable drawer starts freezing items.

What I know:
-Coils clean
-No frozen coil, at least, in the bottom of fridge near compressor.
-Fan runs
-Defrosting manually restores to normal operation for around 2 weeks in which it frost over again.

From what I have read elsewhere, no frozen coil but frosted freezer is a sealed issue, is this correct? Where should I proceed from here? Any further troubleshooting that my benefit me?

Thank you in advance.
Cameron

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So your getting frost all in your freezer, but the evaporator coil is free of frost? Just a thin layer on ALL the evaporator coils?

If thats the case, then yes, sounds like your freezer door is either not closing/sealing properly, or your freezer door gasket is ripped/torn.

Check for air gaps in your freezer door gasket against the cabinet when you close the door.

Jake

longhaul28

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the fast update. The freezer only freezes on back wall and builds up to around a half inch. Coils appear to be high and dry. Door seals are good and pliable with no leaks (that i have found) and recently cleaned them. Any other ideas?

Cameron

****Correction

After the back of freezer defrosted, I can now see the coil behind wall and is completely frozen over.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
then its possibly a bad defrost timer or defrost thermostat.

Here's the defrost timer for your model:
WP67001036 Timer, Defrost

Its #12 here: Parts for Amana DRB1901CC / PDRB1901CC0: Controls Parts

What I do is get a flathead screwdriver and turn it clockwise, there should be a small access hole under it to stick your screwdriver up in it to turn it, if your refrigerator is running when you turn it, turn it slowly till it shuts the refrigerator off, then it will be in defrost.

Give it a few minutes to see if your defrost heater comes on below your evaporator coil.

Let me know what happens.

Jake

longhaul28

Premium Member
Jake,

Excellent! Thank you!

Should i go ahead and grab thermostat and replace along side timer? Part number by chance?

Thanks again
Cameron

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you turn the defrost timer and put it in defrost? did the defrost heater come on?

Jake

longhaul28

Premium Member
Jake,

Finally found the access hole and advanced. Heating elements does work thankfully. So, I guess, I am looking at a thermostat then?

Cameron

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so the problem is your defrost timer, because you advanced it into defrost manually, and the defrost timer should advance it automatically, so that means the defrost timer isn't moving on its own.

Order the defrost timer that I linked to above.:)

Jake

longhaul28

Premium Member
Jake,

Great! At least I know what the prob is now. Thank you so much! I will install and let ya know how it turns out.

Cameron

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Cameron, sounds good.:)

Jake

longhaul28

Premium Member
Same Problems

Ok Cameron, sounds good.:)

Jake

Hey Jack,

I finally replaced timer and fridge actually shuts off now but no defrost for some reason. When I initially tested it I could feel the heat coming off the elements but no longer. I guess the defrost is intermittent.

Should I replace defrost heater now? Do you know part number by chance?

Thanks again for the help.

Cameron

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will need to ohm your defrost thermostat(while frosty) for continuity with refrigerator unplugged.

On these Amana's I find the defrost thermostat bad 90% of the time when your defrost heater doesn't come on.

The defrost thermostat clips on the top of your evaporator coil.

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model:
12001937 Defrost Thermostat Kit

I use my multimeter set on 200 ohms to check the defrost heater with the refrigerator unplugged, it should ohm between 11-30 ohms.

Here is your defrost heater:
WP67002135 Heater, Defrost

Let me know what you find.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.