Amana Gas Regulator 308866 Discontinued... Can I replace with similar?

TL-Iguana

Premium Member
Model Number
AKS3040WW
Brand
Amana
I have an Amana cooktop, AKS3040WW that I would like to use in my outdoor space as a 4 burner propane cooktop. I know that the regulator leaks as when tested with soapy water it bubbles out the sides, and not on any of the pipe fittings.. Now I would like to replace the regulator, and convert the stove to run on propane at the same time. I have already turned down the orifice hoods so it will run on LP, but my question is can I replace the regulator with a similar model, that is the same specs as what I had originally? It will also need to be able to run on LP gas.

The regulator tag is as follows
PN 308866
NAT 6.0"
LP 10.0"
SC-75 CBT
SCP 1/2 PSI
It is 1/2" NPT fittings both in and out, but this of course I can adapt.

This regulator is discontinued and no longer available, however I'd like to hold on to some hope that another regulator will work for my application... It was used over many different appliances I see but none list a direct replacement now... There was another post here that I viewed that, used the same regulator and some suggestion was given that another style may work for their application. I don't mind if the in and out ports are offset or straight, it will make no difference to my application. I have attached some pictures to help reference at the bottom of my post.

My second question is that we would also be using 20 and 30LB propane bottles to run the stove if repairable. Am I right in assuming that I will have to regulate the pressure off the propane bottle down to 11 - 12 PSI before making the connection to the stoves regulator? If this is the wrong area of the forum for this question I would be happy to move it....

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Simon

IMG_20170717_190111.jpgIMG_20170717_190125.jpgIMG_20170717_120220.jpg

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Any gas regulator will work as long as it can be converted to LP. As far as the pressure in the tank I don't think it matters. Call your local gas company and ask them. This one should work:
Pressure Regulator 00611976
Pressure-Regulator-00611976-01304371.jpg

TL-Iguana

Premium Member
Fantastic Rick thank-you!

It was recommended to me by the gas guys to add a regulator on the line coming off my tanks as they are susceptible to some pretty wild temperature fluctuations here in Alberta. So long as I dumb it down to what would normally enter a residential dwelling assumably from a large supply tank, the reasoning from them was that the stove regulator wouldn't be overwhelmed with the fluctuations. He also suggested I head to an RV / Trailer shop to look at dual stage trailer regulators as they would put my supply essentially at 11" WC and the stove regulator you have provided to 10" for the application intended. Thank-you again for your help!! I'll be doing some more research of course, but your advice has definately helped.