Amana/Haier Portable AC - Model APN14K - Problem Opening Cabinet

carbonize

Premium Member
Model Number
APN14K
Brand
Amana
It says Amana on the front and Haier on the back. Did Haier merge with
Amana or Amana merge with Haier? I don't know.

This unit is like new. It was used for a few weeks years ago. After that it was
stored in a closet.

A small repair is needed. I must remove the back half of the cabinet. Usually
a simple job. I'm very aware of "hidden" screws that are frequently under labels,
caps, plugs, etc. After removing 18 screws I cannot open the cabinet. If there
are more screws I can't find them.

I've googled several times, searching for an exploded diagram (or manual) that
clearly shows all the cabinet screws. No luck. I'm hoping a forum member can
provide a diagram.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You probably won't be able to remove any part of the cabinet. The reason is the insulation they use now. It's a two part polyurethane spray. It's more efficient and it sticks to everything. No longer can the door liners be removed but now there's less problems with door gaskets and it supplies more strength to the doors. Haier also owns GE appliances now.

carbonize

Premium Member
Before I became a partner in an electronics related business, I was an HVAC technician
for eight years.

If I remember correctly, this Amana/Haier unit was manufactured in 2009. I've opened
several later model portable air conditioners for repairs and steam cleaning. Once the
screws are removed, I usually keep my hand on the back half of the cabinet so it won't
fall off.

I found exploded diagrams showing the internal Amana/Haier components. Unfortunately,
not the cabinet and screws. Using a flashlight, I can see inside the cabinet through the
condenser vent slots. There is no expanded poly insulation inside the cabinet.

I know why the back half of the cabinet refuses to come off.

As you can see in the attached image, the front of this portable air conditioner has a
brushed stainless panel. There are two deep pockets in the back. Using a flashlight,
I can see the tip of machines screws in each pocket. If that stainless panel was removed,
I'm sure the heads of those screws would be visible. If I'm correct, there are two screws
under that front stainless panel. That's why the back half of the cabinet will not break
loose.

Without proper diagrams or a manual, anything I do will probably destroy the cabinet.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Oops, my bad. I didn't realize it was an AC unit. I thought you were trying to remove the back of a mini fridge. I answer a lot of questions so I skim over the thread. I'm still not going to be much help as I've not worked on one before. I did a quick search using my resources but came up empty, sorry.