• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Amana Model BX21VW (20 years old); Freezer cold, but not cold enough

DFG

Premium Member
Model Number
BX21VW
Brand
Amana
I have a 20 year old Amana fridge with bottom freezer, model number BX21VW .

Recently the freezer is cold, but not cold enough (about 27 - 30 degrees F). I am wondering if I can get help diagnosing how to fix it? I've checked the obvious things : fans are running, compressor is warm but not terribly hot, I took the interior back panel off bottom freezer, and no ice build up, but frost on the left side (see picture).

Attachments

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
If that's the most frost that ever develops, it likely has a refrigeration system problem. That will require a trained refrigeration technician to diagnose further and to correct. Unfortunately most of those job are not economical to do but check the rates at local appliance service companies.

DFG

Premium Member
Thanks Dan for the response.

If I do nothing, how long do you think the refrigerator will continue to work? In other words, in your experience, will the refrigerator slowly get warmer and warmer over a few days/weeks/months, or will it one day just stop keeping things cool?

Its not a great time for me to by a new frige, but I can live without the freezer.
Just wondering if anyone has experience about how much time I have before needing to replace it.

Thanks!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There is no set length of time but that looks like a pretty advanced state. It may not cool at all for very much longer.

I'm sorry to say I'd suggest you be prepared to replace it pretty soon. Maybe start checking the classifieds for good deals?

DFG

Premium Member
Thanks Dan.

Can you recommend a replacement? What do you think of this GE, or this other GE, or this whirlpool?

WRB322DMBM
https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/r...guard-glass-shelves-22-cu.-ft.wrb322dmbm.html

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I haven't seen statistics for any current models. You could try Consumer Reports.

I however rarely recommend GE appliances. I usually recommend Whirlpool built appliances under any of their brands (see the following link) and as simple a model as possible. The more gadgets, usually the more cost to keep them functioning.

LINK > Appliance411: Who Makes What

Dan O.

Last edited:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Some charge cards have added extended warranties on any purchases. Gold cards often. You might consider making the purchase using one of those if available.

Dan O.