• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

amana model SBD21VPSE water not getting past filter

ajrdh8

Premium Member
Model Number
SBD21VPSE
Brand
Amana
I have an Amana side by side and the ice maker stopped working and so did the water dispenser in the door. I determined that water was getting to the filter but not past it. I replaced the filter with a by pass plug but still no luck. If I remove the plug and press the lever water will come out of the line in the refrigerator. Also, if i release the pressure from the line running to door, by manually pushing the small button on the filter assembly, water will flow to the door once. As soon as I let up on the lever it will not work again until i release the pressure.

Please help, how can i correct this issue.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Your machine uses a dual water valve system. Here's how it works; The main water supply connects to the primary water valve. When either the dispenser or ice maker calls for water, the primary water valve opens and water flow is directed to the water filter. From there the water flow leaves the filter where it connects to the supply connection on the secondary water valve. When the solenoid is energized on the primary water valve it is also energized on the secondary water valve and water is dispensed or fills the ice maker. Your problem sounds like the secondary water valve is having issues and needs to be replaced. It's more common to have the primary valve fail so consider replacing both water valves. On your machine the problematic primary valve was changed to an updated version. On yours, there are two water lines "out" connections that connect to a "Y" connector. The updated version has just the one water line connection out to the filter.

Here's the secondary valve you need:
Water Inlet Valve 12544101 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Water-Inlet-Valve-12544101-00847012.jpg

Here's the problematic primary water valve:
Water Inlet Valve 12544001 Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy. RepairClinic.com
Water-Inlet-Valve-12544001-00557253.jpg

[video=youtube;aXIX73EI1Z4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXIX73EI1Z4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

ajrdh8

Premium Member
Thanks Rick, I have had two technicians out to the house I think the first one replaced the primary valve and the second one just told me it was a the filter. Therefore, i bought the bypass cap which did not fix the problem. So the secondary valve is it located on the back of the refrigerator and easy to replace?

rickgburton

Staff member
The primary water valve is the one with most of the issues. Since it's been replaced, just replace the secondary valve.
GE Water Valves.jpg

mrvtjh

Premium Member
Great information.
I know I need to replace the valve, no continuity.
Why would the cooling tube where it enters the back of the refrigerator freeze up? An air leak?

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
Look on the tool bar for the picture icon. It's between the globe with a red X and a filmstrip icon. Click on that and then click on Browse and navigate to the picture. Select the picture and then click on open then click on upload files.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, that's what's called a separated cap tube. The capillary tube that carries the warm refrigerant to the evaporator is soldered to the suction line. As the warm liquid refrigerant enters the evaporator it expands and get cold and that's what causes the frost on the evaporator coils. The last line of the evaporator is the suction line and returns to the compressor. The warm capillary tube keeps the frost from migrating down to the compressor. As long as it doesn't get any worse than the picture you should be OK. If it gets worse you might have some poor cooling issues.