Amana NED7200TW Electric Dryer No HEAT

denrobare

Premium Member
Model Number
NED7200TW
Brand
Amana
Hello, I have a NED7200TW electric dryer with no heat. I have already done the following:

• Replaced heater element
  • Replaced thermistor
  • Replaced thermostats 2 & 3
  • Tested outlet for 240v

I have also tested continuity on all parts and the thermostats are all reading 3 Ohms and the heater element 13 Ohms. So I am pretty sure they are all fine. Not sure whats left to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

NED7200TW
NED7200TW10 came up for me...is that correct?

Q - My electric dryer runs but will not heat, what could stop my dryer from heating ?

A- Things that could stop a electric dryer from heating:

- house fuse or breaker ( needs 2! )... - heating element ... - burnt wire ... - thermostats ... thermal fuse ( not all models )... - motor heat switch ... - timer/electronic control ... - selector switch ... - burnt power cord/plug ...

Check the heat relay ( one of the large ones ) on the control board...

Main-Control-Board-WP35001153-01012992.jpg Main Electronic Control Board

jeff.

denrobare

Premium Member
Hey Jeff,

Sorry to be so naive, but can you point out where the heat relay is on the control board and how do I test it? Can I do a simple continuity test with the multimeter? Or what amount of Ohm resistance should i be looking for? I will do some research online and see what I can find also.

Thanks,

Dennis

jeff1

Staff member
I would just pull the 2 wires off ( largest 2 are for the heat ) and temp join/tape them together to see if the heat jumps back to life.

jeff.

denrobare

Premium Member
Hey Jeff,

So that is the problem. The relay is burnt up, the one wire was actually partially burnt and some of the wire was exposed. It was also badly oxidized. I taped the two wires together and the heater worked great. I assume its dangerous to just bypass the relay permamently? I've fuond the relay online for $3.89 but I don't see it coming off the control board easily or without damaging the board itself. Any suggestions? Just pony up and buy a new board ($170)?

Thanks for all your help by the way!

Dennis

jeff1

Staff member

denrobare

Premium Member
Hey Jeff,

So i replaced the board and the heat came back right away. All seemed well but the heat seemed really hot, where I could actually smell it running. Shortly aftwards (not certain how long) the heat was gone again. The board seems ok, however, I dont get anything from the thermistor when using the multimeter with the sound test for Ohms. It read like 10-13 ohms on the meter, but no sound for continuity... I not certain, but the thermistor has what looks like a small copper fuse and it does appear to be broken/split.

I am not sure I will get to the bottom of this and am starting to think of just replacing the dryer at this point. Why would the thermistor (brand new by the way) burn up immediately after getting the board working? Is there a short somewhere perhaps?

Thanks,

Dennis