FIXED Amana NFW7200TW water in fabric softener tray and intermittent ND issue

msg2

Premium Member
Model
NFW7200TW
Brand
Amana
We have a few things happening lately to our washer. It has some issues with draining.

The first thing is the fabric softner tray at the end of a load ends up with a good bit of water in the tray and when we open to add detergent and all to the next load it splashes out at times.

The other issue I suspect is the control board flaking out.
It will sometime not always go to the last 11 min or so of the cycle and stop and blink the ND error code.
I tap the control knob to try the sequence over again and it will usually complete the cycle.

Any tips on what I can do to help matters?

Its a stacked unit in a tiny closet that is terrible to access the backs of the units.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Another member with the exact same model as yours had this same ND error code: Amana NFW7200TW Partially Drains but Gets "nd" Error Code

As you can see in his thread I helped him with it, but unfortunately he never came back to say what fixed it.

The first thing to do is start a rinse/spin cycle with no clothes in it, then when it drains after rinse, pull the drain hose up from your house drain pipe and watch how fast the water exits out of the drain hose, it should be a very fast stream of water coming out into your drain pipe.

Jake

msg2

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, its been cooperating til today. It is doing the ND again. Ive been just tapping the button again and it usually starts at 9 and goes through the rest of the cycle and completes. Now it just loops in the ND mode. Accessing the unit is a huge pain. It is a stacked washer and dryer in a tight closet angled sideways.

For me to access the back means disassembling the shelving are in the closet thats in front of it and once that hour of fun is over I will have to pull the stacked unit forward maybe 3 feet before the hoses, vents and cords max out and then climb over the top of the dryer and descend into a 2.5 foot wide area where all of the hoses and stuff are.

Are there any steps to try that doesn't involve accessing the back of the unit I can go through first?

Im new at this and have basic skills with electronics, so if possible please talk me through the steps you suggest. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I haven't worked on this model as of yet, so all I can do is refer you back to my post #2 in that other thread I linked to above, which has the tech. data sheet in it.

Hopefully another tech. that's more familiar with this model can assist you further, if not, then you'd need to have Amana come out or buy a new machine.

Jake

msg2

Premium Member
Jake, I wanted to follow up with the journey and solution for the ND error code. I didnt want to post to the other persons thread, but if you want to add this info there be my guest.

The journey.

First step for me was to check the pressure switch. I saw a youtube video where they mentioned that sometimes the hose that is connected to the switch can get blocked up down in the washer with detergent or softener build up and that disconnecting the hose from the pressure switch and blow air downward into the washer and that you will hopefully hear bubbling in the base of the washer. That means its not clogged.

So I did this to the switch and it was fine. Then the video mentioned getting a clean hose to connect to the switch and blow lightly back into the pressure switch itself to hear if the pressure from the air causes the switch to click. So I did this and it sounded like it did and I kept testing it to be sure. Then after watching some other videos it said NOT to ever blow air in the switch since the diaphragms were fragile and would rupture it. So I found a replacement part to just make sure.

Then we ran a test of the washer and the same issues same ND code.

So the next step was to check for the blockages in the drain system. I took a small tray and a little at a time pulled the grey drain line out a bit to let water drain out, and then with a turkey baster removed the water into a bucket. I did all this to keep a few gallons of water from flying out and causing a mess.

IMG_20190329_134301454.jpg

After that I disconnected all of the drain system and dismantled the pump to make sure nothing was hung up or clogged. Everything looked fine from the bottom drain from the drum to the pump. Next I took the grey drain line and ran some fishing tape through it to pop any clogs out. Nothing came out.

IMG_20190329_142147262.jpg

Then I looked down in the drain and saw this

IMG_20190329_142158013.jpg

I pulled out the culprit and ran water through after

IMG_20190329_142344838.jpg

I reconnected everything and ran a test and the ND code happened. Same issue, no fix.

The control panel had to be the issue I thought and searched for a replacement. They are discontinued. The next and last step then was to decide to send off the control panel to be repaired to a place called Corecentric in Illinois. I had heard some folks had good luck with them, so I checked and they could repair it but for around $180 total. A new washer was going to run me $700 at least so I tried it, mailed the part off with a write up of what was going wrong with the washer.

The part came back within 2 weeks and I looked it over to see what they might have done to repair it. There were alot of burned out and corroded looking resistors inside of the gel that coats the inside of the panel. I expected to see that gel to be altered in places where they made repairs but only found this spot.

IMG_20190416_214304301.jpg IMG_20190416_214304301~2.jpg

The relay switch for the drain pump.

I plugged in the repaired control panel and immediately the washer lit up (which isnt supposed to happen...only hitting the on button is supposed to do that) and displayed an E2 code. I was boiling. I called the tech line at Corecentric and explained what was going wrong. The tech said to send it back and they would look it over again. I paid to ship it back and waited. The tech connection is not good at all at Corecentric. You get an operator who cant connect with the tech and they send him an email or leave a voice message and you get a call maybe the next day.

The control panel came back to me and they said all they did was test it and it was fine, so they sent it back. I got the tech back on the line as the panel was on its way to me and just didnt get how I got an error code. He didnt either. I was not happy, expected to get the panel back plug it in and the same thing happen again. I re installed the control panel, closed everything up and crossed my fingers and plugged it in...nothing happened. So far so good. I hit the on button and it turned on. We started a test load and it made it all the way through!!!!!!

Its now back to working, I wish I knew what they did the second time they had it. I think they caught a mistake and repaired but didnt say. I called and asked for a write up of what was replaced and repaired to help others out with this issue but they said the techs do not keep the details of a repair documented.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Half of your photos didn't come through, please upload them again and I will put them in the order you had them.:)

Thanks for the update!

We used to recommend Corecentic, but we also were getting complaints about them, so now we recommend Circuit Board Medics if the control board is no longer available.:)

Jake

msg2

Premium Member
It looks like the most important photos made it, but ill add in a few others.

IMG_20190329_134301454.jpg

IMG_20190329_142158013.jpg

IMG_20190329_142147262.jpg

IMG_20190329_142344838.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks, I added them to your post #5 are they in the correct order?

Jake

msg2

Premium Member
The 2nd and 3rd pics need to be swapped in location, but its fine really. I did contact the Circuit Board Medics for a quote on what they might have charged to make this repair and got this response.

Thank you for submitting your information for review. We are not set up for testing of this module and feel that we will not serve you well with this request. We are not aware of anyone else currently repairing this module for your specific issues that we could recommend.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Alrighty Then, LOL, There goes that goose down the hole. Oh well, never hurts to try.

At least your all fixed for now.:)

I swapped the 2nd and 3rd photos.:)

Jake