Amana oven digital clock resets every time wash machine pulls power.

Model Number
8114p864-60
Brand
Amana
EDIT: I erronously put down the wrong age. It's from 2001 so It's 16 years old. I think.
They're both on the same line. Wash machine is in the basement, oven is on the next floor directly above it, so they share the same outlet. Gas stove. We didn't have this issue with our old wash machine. We replaced the old wash machine with a GE that drew a lot of power. The lights flickered constantly. We got rid of it and bought a speedqueen. Lights don't flicker with the new machine, but 75% of the time we ran the speedqueen, during one part of the cycle, the digital timer would reset on the Amana oven. However, It would not flip the breaker.

We let this linger on for 6 months until now the digital timer's buttons are unresponsive. The cancel button beeps and the oven light switch still works. For obvious reasons, we can't bake.

I'm not an expert in electronics, but maybe either a battery for the digital clock ran empty and relied on power from the outlet, or a capacitor failed so for the split second there's a surge when the wash machine pulls it can't restore the original time, because of the oven's age, it was just a matter of time the board would fail anyway?

I don't want to repair or buy a new oven without knowing if this is an electrical issue. What would be the proper test to perform? Can I do it myself checking the outlet while the wash machine is running or something?

THank you!!!!

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not an expert in electronics, but maybe either a battery for the digital clock ran empty and relied on power from the outlet, or a capacitor failed so for the split second there's a surge when the wash machine pulls it can't restore the original time, because of the oven's age, it was just a matter of time the board would fail anyway?
Yes, it likely is just worn out, very common to happen after 15 years use.:)

But we need the model number of your range, 8114p864-60 is not a model number, that's a part number.

Pull the storage drawer out at the very bottom and you should see the model number tag on the right side leg frame.

I don't want to repair or buy a new oven without knowing if this is an electrical issue. What would be the proper test to perform? Can I do it myself checking the outlet while the wash machine is running or something?
Yes, what you do is get your multimeter and put it on AC volts, then unplug the range and put the meter probes in that same outlet where you unplugged the range from, then start the washer and keep washing your meter to see if the voltage drops when the washer motor comes on for agitate and spin.

The meter should stay at a constant 120 volts and not drop when the washer motor comes on for agitate and spin. If the voltage does drop way down below 90 volts then you have a bad breaker for that outlet.

Let us know what you find.

Jake