Amana Oven - Intermittant issue with slow heating

TWG1572

Premium Member
Model Number
ACF4265AW
Brand
Amana
We've been having an issue for the last six months where sometime our electric oven will take forever to heat up. But the next time we try it, it heats up just fine in about the amount of time you would expect. This is just the oven, the stovetop seems to be working fine.

I did some investigating and did confirm that both burners in the oven are turning on when pre-heating. I was hoping one was dead, which would have been an easy fix but no luck. I'm at a bit of a loss on where to go after that. I've seen various forum posts for similar issues advocating replacing the temp sensor, control board, or even checking to see if I have 220 coming out of the element socket.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by where to start next, since my issue isn't really like any I've been able to find online. Here's what I think I should try next, but I'd appreciate any and all advice on next steps. I'm afraid the whole intermittant thing may make this a challenge...

1) Check temp sensor for 1,100 ohms
2) Test elements, even though I visually comfirmed both do glow red when preheating.
3) ?? Here's where I think we get into the land of relays and control boards, and I'm well out of my depth.

Thank you!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I'm afraid the whole intermittant thing may make this a challenge...
Yupper!!
Almost have to wait until it quits again and then check it......chekcing it when it is working -may- not tell you much.

1) Check temp sensor for 1,100 ohms
2) Test elements, even though I visually comfirmed both do glow red when preheating.
Sounds like a plan.

ACF4265AW
Missing some digits and the "P" or man#.
http://www.applianceaid.com/model-number.php

Oven-Sensor-31954301--00966385.jpg Temperature sensor Manufacturer Number 31954301

[video=youtube;vWJOLFW2aw0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vWJOLFW2aw0[/video]

If they all check ok, probably is new control time.

jeff.

TWG1572

Premium Member
Maybe I'm reading the tag wrong? It almost seems like the manuf: line is more in line with the model# format you were expecting.

Model: ACF4265AW
MANUF: PACK4265AW1

I'll do a test of the sensor and elements and see if they check out OK tonight. Fingers crossed that something shows up bad and I don't have to wait for it to happen again to test them.

Last edited:

TWG1572

Premium Member
Allright, tests done. Temp sensor was 1080 ohms, both heating elements were high 19's. I'll have to see if I can test it while it's not working - I'd basically have to yank it away from the wall and unscrew all the shields. As long as the oven's not too hot, that should be doable I think.

jeff1

Staff member
Model: ACF4265AW
MANUF: PACK4265AW1
I found Model: ACF4265AW0 PACK4265AW1 Model: ACF4265AW1 PACK4265AW1

Temp sensor was 1080 ohms, both heating elements were high 19's
Leaves the clock/control as the prime suspect then.

I'll have to see if I can test it while it's not working - I'd basically have to yank it away from the wall and unscrew all the shields. As long as the oven's not too hot, that should be doable I think.
Even worse, the control/clock is coming us as NLA at many parts places now...not all but most...

Electronic clock control Manufacturer Number 32059603W

jeff.

TWG1572

Premium Member
NLA - the good news just keeps coming! At the $350 price point, I'm thinking we may need to discuss if it's just time to replace the stove. It's getting pretty old in the scheme of appliance lifespans and I'm not sure if I want to sink half the cost of a new stove in a 10+ year old one.

I'm not sure what to say on the model #. I've got a picture of the tag on my phone, and there is no 0 or 1 after the W. Wierd. But the picture of the control board you posted looks correct.

I was thinking this AM and it does seem like we could isolate down to the control because of a couple other factors. When it's heating slowly, the temperature on the display still seems to be correct. It shows it climbing slowly, and if you open the door the oven temp seems to be somewhat in line with what the display says. It's not like the display says 200 degrees and when I open the door there is a blast of heat or anything like that. It seems like that would eliminate a flaky sensor. I could validate that with an oven thermometer, just to be sure.

I do really appreciate the help. We just need to determine if this beast is worth saving or not.

jeff1

Staff member
I'm thinking we may need to discuss if it's just time to replace the stove
For sure!

Not much left besides the control when the sensor and elements are ok.

jeff.