• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Amana Refrigerator ARB9058CS bottom freezer getting warm

Homebody21

Premium Member
Model Number
ARB9058CS
Brand
Amana
I fist noticed the ice was slippery and ice cream is soft the freezer is constant around 37 degrees. The top refrigerator seemed cool enough (50s). Vacuumed condersor coils underneath and pulled out frig, removed lower plate and vacuumed there too. Pugged frig back in and after awhile the condenser turned on and the fan next to it came on. Could feel warm copper line and cool line going into condensor. Opened bottom freezer door and could feel/hear evaporator fan. Since frig is full and I have nowhere to put food I just visually checked the rear freezer panel above vent and saw ice build up. See picture.
I would like to try to override frig into defrost mode to see if that helps but cannot find the defrost timer or any helpful service manuals. Any thoughts? Thank you.
IMG_4681.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yup, possibly the defrost timer, defrost thermostat, or defrost heater is bad.

Here's the defrost timer for your model:
WP67001036 Timer, Defrost

Its #12 here:

What I do is get a flathead screwdriver and turn it clockwise, there should be a small access hole under it to stick your screwdriver up in it to turn it, if your refrigerator is running when you turn it, turn it slowly till it shuts the refrigerator off, then it will be in defrost.

Give it a few minutes to see if your defrost heater comes on below your evaporator coil in your freezer at the very bottom of the back panel inside the freezer. You should start feeling warmth/heat on the lower back panel.

If you feel warmth/heat then let is run through its entire defrost cycle which usually takes about 20-30 minutes then see if the refrigerator kicks on again for cooling, if it does then your defrost timer is the culprit.

Let us know what happens.

Jake

Homebody21

Premium Member
Thanks for your response Jake. I found the defrost timer and marked its 12:00 position. I checked on it a couple hours later and it had moved to 10:00 position so it is turning on its own. I continued to turn it with screwdriver till I hit defrost mode (4:00) and compressor/fans stopped. Waited 6 minutes and felt around back of frig for warmth but didn't feel any warmth., I advanced defrost timer out of defrost mode and compressor/fans came back on.
So now should I check defrost thermostat? Do I need to pull it out to check its function or can it be checked installed? I'm not sure how to take the back panel off ( there is an ice maker too), in order to gain access to evaporator and thermostat. I will need to get a plan for all the food before I go further. Thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, If you didn't feel any heat, you'll need to remove that back panel and ohm your defrost thermostat for continuity while its still frosty. Normal ohm reading would be 0-1 ohm. Make sure your Refrigerator stays unplug before testing it.

Also if you notice a big bulge on the top of your defrost thermostat, its definitely bad.

The defrost thermostat clips on the top of your evaporator coil. There is a video when you click the defrost thermostat part link, that shows you HOW TO access it. Yes, you will need to remove the ice maker first before you remove the back panel inside the freezer, the video shows you how.:)

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model:
2001937 Defrost Thermostat Kit

Let us know how it goes.

Jake