• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Amana SCD23VW Partial Ice Cubes and tricking water

PHutchins

Premium Member
Model Number
scd23vw
Brand
Amana
Good afternoon. I have read the various tips and fixes for the lack of ice cubes and trickling water on our old Amana. I used the hairdryer and melted the ice blockage in the water inlet tube so I do have ice cubes again; however they are hollow and small. The water is still trickling, so I pulled the fridge away from the wall and found a mess of white dried powder all over the floor and the plastic frame around this part was melted. I believe I need to replace this part but am finding conflicting terms and can't find a true picture of exactly what I have. Attached is a picture of the melted plastic and I believe the blue piece is the one needing to be replaced. I think this part is called the valve primar on Sears Parts Direct, but the picture looks different than what I have. Any help, advice is appreciated.
IMAG0170.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

PHutchins

Premium Member
Part replaced and problem remains

I finally received the part and made the repair and still have varying water flow and ill-formed and hollow ice cubes. Any advice appreciated? Maybe an extra step I missed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Pull your refrigerator out away from the wall, turn off your water supply line that goes to it, then take off your water supply line from the water inlet valve, then get a bucket, cup, bowl, etc to catch the water, then put your water supply line in the bucket and turn it on, your water stream should be really good with good water pressure, if not then the problem is in your plumbing water supply line.

Let us know how the water pressure is.

A very LARGE problem in the last few years has been the self piercing shut off valve clogging up with calcium and junk! Replace the self piercing shut off valve with a drill type shut off valve. You drill a 1/4" hole into the pipe and install the shut off valve the same way you would with a self piercing valve.

Jake