Amana side by side fridge - bottom areas are cold, top not

DB130

Premium Member
imported post

The model # is SCD25TW and the MFG # is P1190426WW,purchased around 1996. As of yesterday, neither side is cooling very well, especially the top areas. The lights come on and I can hear a fan going, but the compressor is not coming on regardless of the temperature settings.

I have pulled the PTC relay off the compressor and it shows continuity. The compressor is hot when the unit is plugged in. What should I look for next? Thank you in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

I had the exact same model# on my service route this past monday, Make sure the Condenser fan motor is turning every time the compressor comes on, the one i had monday, the condenser fan motor bearing was out, it was extremely hot in between the front doors on the cabinet.

If the condenser fan motor is coming on ok, and blowing good air, then its likely the compressor has locked-up. It would be very expensive to replace the compressor.

Jake

DB130

Premium Member
imported post

Jake, thank you for the quick reply... The condenser fan motor is blowing 100% of the time as soon as the fridge is plugged in and it seems to be running well. You are stating that it should only come on when the compressor kicks in. Is that indicative of a locked compressor?

Also, I neglected to mention that the bottom of the freezer side is still quite cold and the bottom area of the fridge side is also adequately cool, but the middle and upper areas are not. Would a locked compressor still be able to cool a limited area?

Finally, should I check the evaporator fan motor?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

DB130 wrote:
The lights come on and I can hear a fan going, but the compressor is not coming on regardless of the temperature settings.

I was going by what you said here, about the compressor not coming on.

If its still quite cold in the bottom of the freezer, then the compressor sounds like its coming on.

When you open the freezer door, do you hear the freezer fan(evaporator fan motor)? If not then you have either a bad freezer fan motor, or a bad defrost thermostat.

Is the bottom back of the freezer panel frosted up? Thick frost on that panel?

Also Check the condenser coil underneath the refrigertor to make sure there is no clog. It should be cleaned at least once a year.

DB130

Premium Member
imported post

Jake, I replaced the evaporator fan motor w/ an Amana replacement and bought a condenser cleaner tool while at the parts depot.

I can already feel the freezer side working and am waiting for the fridge side to follow. Thank you for your assistance!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
imported post

Glad to hear that newfreezer fan made a difference!:cool:

Thanks for the update.:)

Jake