• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Amana Side by side fridge model SZD25NW Location of defrost timer

Dix

Premium Member
Model Number
SZD25NW
Brand
Amana
I have a Amana Side by side frige model #SZD25NW. I have looked all over it, top to bottom, behind every panel and cannot, for the life of me, find the defrost timer. Please help!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That machine uses an adaptive defrost timer and it's been discontinued. If I remember correctly, there's a way to wire in a regular 8 hour timer I'll see what I can find.
whirlpool-control-adaptive-defrost-12050506-ap4009935_01_l.jpg

Dix

Premium Member
Dang! Here is my tail of woe:
Found out that the fridge and freezer were not working and everything was thawing. After having the unit unplugged for days, I plugged it in and the compressor runs. In a few seconds the evaporator fan will start running. The unit will then cool well. Upon checking it later the freezer will be very cold - 10-15 degrees. Check it again later and the compressor and fan have stopped and freezer temp. is 40-50 degrees. In a bit the compressor started back up. A little frost/ ice was on upper coils. Checked 8 minutes later and compressor still on, but fan is not. Checked again and fan still off with frost on coils increasing. I then waited an hour and no change. Freezer compartment is now 50 degrees. An hour or two later and no change except for more frost/ ice build up.

I can unplug the unit for a while and then plug it back in and the compressor and fan will be back running again and the cycle begins again.

Figure must be one of three things: defrost heater bad, defrost thermostat bad, or defrost timer bad. What do you advise? I'm no electrician, but no dummy ether.

Thanks

rickgburton

Staff member

Dix

Premium Member
The fan is hanging because I removed it in order to get access to something behind it. At the time of this picture, unit has been running 21 hours. Sometime during the night the fan, as expected, stopped. The temp in the fridge was 32 degrees.
I have been watching it ice up all these tests with the sheet metal ducting removed as in photo, and the fan hanging.

It has been a few more hours after posting the above and now the compressor has stopped running. Ice is same as in picture with temp. about 35 degrees.

Last edited:

Dix

Premium Member
Just heard the compressor come back on. The temp. in the freezer is 40 degrees and the ice is the same. Fan still off.

rickgburton

Staff member

Dix

Premium Member
The motor runs fine if I unplug the fridge for a while and let the freezer thaw. When the freezer starts to ice up the fan will eventually stop and is receiving no current at that time. Seems to me the compressor should also stop and the defrost coil come on, but the defrost coil has never, to my knowledge, come on. Agree, disagree?

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
@Dix This is the principle of operation on your Refrigerator:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 5.06.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 5.06.59 PM.png
    534.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 5.22.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 5.22.05 PM.png
    559.1 KB · Views: 33

rickgburton

Staff member
Dix, If you're leaving the evaporator cover off that's the reason it keeps frosting up.