Amana sxs freezer not cold

mg

Premium Member
imported post

My 10 yr old Amana sxs just won't get cold enough: ice cream soft. I've pulled the inside back panel: no frost. Cleaned all coils. Checked gaskets. Defrost cycles. Light switch is ok. Both fans work. What's wrong ??

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
imported post

Hi,

Model#?

**I've pulled the inside back panel: no frost.**

-Should- be a light coating of frost on the evaporator/cooling coils....there was none? Running and no frost is not good :(

http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

Some common trouble makers.

jeff.

mg

Premium Member
imported post

Model # SBD20NE

Thanks but maybe I spook wrong.. yes .. light frost on top of coils. No clicking noise.
It's just the freezer side ... the other side seems to be fine. After I put it all back together (about 8 hours ago) it now only down to 30 F .. Any ideas ?

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

G'day,

**light frost on top of coils**

....and the rest where bare?

Above pic from Appliance411.com

Belowpic from ApplianceAid

Similier to any of these?

jeff.

mg

Premium Member
imported post

Nop ! Nothing at all like the bottom and much less than the top. Just a light..

very light coating ... and only at the top. We live in the midwest, indoor humidity

about 60% so I assume the frost I have is from opening the door long enough to

pull the back panel off.

This morning, the inside temp is 20 F. So it has taken almost 20 hrs to get from

70 F when I was inspecting it to 20 F now.

mg

Premium Member
imported post

How do you test a amana sbd20ne sxs freezer thermostat assembly?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

mg wrote:
How do you test a amana sbd20ne sxs freezer thermostat assembly?
The thermostat (aka. "cold control" - see the link below) should be able to be tested for continuity (see the second link below). It should be closed when its sensor bulb senses a warm temperature and open when it senses a cold temperature.

LINK > Amana SBD20NE Frz. Thermostat
LINK > How do I test for continuity?

I don't know how you'd check it for operating at the proper temperatures without specialized test equipment. That is not usually done by technicians, they would usually just deduce the control was defective if the symptoms pointed to it as a possible culprit (besides if it was open or closed when it shouldn't be).

Why don't you start at the beginning and tell us the exact symptoms of whatever problem you're having and we'll see if we can suggest possible causes for it?

JMO

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

mg

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks Dan .. I didn't know how to add to an existing questions .. so I started a new
topic. here is the start of my orginal topic: "/forums/images/icons/topic.gifhttp://applianceblog.com/forums/forum1/797.html "

I've also determined that this cold control switch when turn to the off will stop the compessor, when turned back on, the fans starts and the compressor waits about 4 min. to start up again.

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

**Nothing at all like the bottom and much less than the top. Just a light...very light coating ... and only at the top**

If I read the above correctly....

Kinda -sounds- like a system problem....leaker, inefficient compressor is possibly.

**This morning, the inside temp is 20 F. So it has taken almost 20 hrs to get from 70 F when I was inspecting it to 20 F now**

Should be 0ºF and normally should be close to temp in approx 4-6 hours.

jeff,

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

mg wrote:
I didn't know how to add to an existing questions .. so I started a new
Just ask it in a reply to your original message. It doesn't need its own title, etc.

BTW. I've joined both your message up together so others can follow the conversion from start to end.

I've determined that this cold control switch when turn to the off will stop the compessor, when turned back on, the fans starts and the compressor waits about 4 min. to start up again.
Yes, that is the purpose of the control. To turn the compressor on and off.

BTW. When you stop the compressor, it is a good idea to let it stay off for 5-10 minutes to allow the refrigerant gasses to equalize. A compressor will not start right back up again and forcing it to could damage it.

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
=D~~~~~~

mg

Premium Member
imported post

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a job for "techman". I'll let you know.

mg

Premium Member
imported post

Here is the followup... Tech guy top off the freon. That was on Monday night ... it's been running normally now for 4 days and seems to be coasting. Time will tell ;)

jeff1

Staff member
imported post

**Tech guy top off the freon**

Didn't he check for leaks!? :shock:

jeff.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

Did he check for.. and REPAIR any leaks? :shock:

The refrigerant on most household appliances should never need to be "topped off". If refrigerant is needed, there has got to be a leak in the system which needs to be repaired or else it is going to leak out again.

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
=D~~~~~~

mg

Premium Member
imported post

Not this guy... not techie enough to have a sensor ... if there is a leak, I get that checked. Thanks for the warning.
:)Still running great !

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
imported post

mg wrote:
if there is a leak, I get that checked.
*If* it needed refrigerant, there is definitely a leak. Maybe the next time it fails you can call someone to correct it properly. I recommend an Amana (or Maytag since they now own Amana) *factory authorized* service depot.

Good luck!

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
=D~~~~~~