• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

    ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

    Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

    From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

    Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

AMV1150VAW4 Very strange, Microwave sparking

2rowdy

Premium Member
Joined
May 23, 2018
Messages
10
Location
tennessee
Model Number
AMV1150VAW4
Brand
Whirlpool
Age
1-5 years
Out of no where, microwave starts sparking around the driver. Of course it's got to be the plate motor right. Took the motor out. Started the microwave, still have sparking on the driver. Don't understand. Got a new driver, guess what, sparks on the same area as the old one. It's actually making black burn marks on the driver. When the driver is out the microwave still works, without fireworks. I did notice maybe some very small "pitting" on the surface near the hole where driver goes. At a total loss as to what's happening. Thanks for any advice.
 

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
24,022
Location
Ontario, Canada
Top