Anode Rod - Magnesium vs Aluminum?

savydavy

Premium Member
Model Number
GEH50DNSRSA
Brand
GE
I have one of the first GE Geospring Hybrid Water Heaters (the blue ones before they turned them red - GEH50DNSRSA) and our needs have been such that I keep it in eHeat (heat pump) mode all the time.

This unit has been extremely reliable and has worked great at meeting our hot water needs, but we are coming up on 10 years and I have not changed nor checked the anode rod or flushed the unit. So I think it's that time. The original anode rod is/was magnesium, but these are hard to find these days.

Most anode rods carried by the big box stores are aluminum and I think the current replacement GE (or White Rogers) part is aluminum. I'm not sure because I can't find any info on the anode and GE doesn't make these water heaters any more.

The anode part number is WS02X20625 (AP6033707). I live in South Florida with city water and the quality is pretty good. It's not hard water at all.

So my question is, do I make the effort to procure a magnesium anode rod (looking at Rheem SP11526C R-Tech Magnesium Anode Rod by Rheem) or just simplify my life and use an aluminum rod?

Thanks so much for your input.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You'd need to go to your local plumbing shop that installs and services water heaters in your area and ask them, each part of the country is different, some areas a magnesium anode rod is better to use, some areas a aluminum rod is better to use.

Jake