FIXED Another GE Profile PGCS1RKZHSS Ice Maker Not Working

sagreer

Premium Member
Model Number
PGCS1RKZHSS
Brand
GE
My GE Profile PGCS1RKZHSS Ice Maker stopped working. I've read through at least a dozen threads with no clear answer as to what the problem is.

Just like the others, the ice maker won't cool the water enough to freeze it, the ice maker tries to flip the half frozen ice cubes out of the maker into the tray and they bust open sending water down the inside of my door. Bottom duct is getting air into the maker (I assume it's meant to be a return), top duct has nothing & is warm around the duct opening.
I replaced the duct fan and noticed it still wouldn't work but it will when I spin it with my finger. When I open a door the fan cuts off I assume because theres not enough current to run the lights and fan. The old fan and new fan both do this.
I noticed on my motherboard that IC U15 was covered in soot and looked fried so I replaced the motherboard. Duct blower fan still isn't working. The voltage at J2 bottom pins is 8v DC (thinking it should be 12V). What would cause a voltage shortage like this? I can buy a new tabletop ice maker for the price of a GE service tech visit and my previous 7 GE service tech visits haven't solved a single problem, 100% record of failure with my appliances.

Any advice?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

sagreer

Premium Member
Thanks Jake I’ll go through the manual. I read through that thread, not sure if another motherboard was the fix or not. Yes I have wireless thermostats in the fridge and freezer. Actual is never more than 1F +/- what the panel on the refrigerator says. 0F and 37F, it’s holding temperatures fine & the evaporator fan is running great. I did let the fridge thaw for 24h to make sure no ice had blocked up any vents.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Yes, you should be getting 12 Volts DC to that ice maker blower motor. You possibly have a bad motherboard since your only getting 8 Volts DC to it, have you tried to exchange it for another new motherboard?

Here's the motherboard for your model:
WR55X11098 Board Asm, Main Control

Jake

Last edited:

sagreer

Premium Member
I have not tried that, do you think the exact same part was faulty on the old board as the brand new board? It's not impossible but it seems highly unlikely, nevertheless I just ordered a new board so we will see how that plays out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly yes, When I worked at Sears, we ordered 3 washer timers and all were bad, then the 4th came good and it fixed it.:)

Jake

sagreer

Premium Member
Just to conclude my issue (for now). I got a new board and the same thing, no air coming out of the top supply vent and the same light draft coming out of the bottom return vent, I forgot to check voltages but with no fan running I assume the same fate.

I was doing some more research and about 45 mins later I heard ice dropping, looked in the bucket and it had made ice. Still no air coming out of the supply vent, zero. I left it overnight and it filled the ice bucket. I emptied the ice bucket, took the new board off and plugged in the previous board (not the original).

About 45 mins later ice dropped, checked the vents and still no air coming out the top, small draft coming in the bottom. I’m confused as to why its now making ice but still no fan working, I’m not going to try my original board because I can clearly see some fried components on it.

It’s been making ice non stop for 2 weeks now with no issues and there’s still no air coming in through the top supply vent, fridge maintaining 37F and freezer 0F on the display panel and with remote sensors. I can only assume that the draft coming in the bottom is now enough to cool the water and completely freeze it. Very strange

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That is quite odd, maybe that fan comes on a little at a time and your not catching it running?

Glad to hear the new motherboard fixed it so its making ice again.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Tmurphx5

That is quite odd, maybe that fan comes on a little at a time and your not catching it running?

Glad to hear the new motherboard fixed it so its making ice again.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake
Just to conclude my issue (for now). I got a new board and the same thing, no air coming out of the top supply vent and the same light draft coming out of the bottom return vent, I forgot to check voltages but with no fan running I assume the same fate.

I was doing some more research and about 45 mins later I heard ice dropping, looked in the bucket and it had made ice. Still no air coming out of the supply vent, zero. I left it overnight and it filled the ice bucket. I emptied the ice bucket, took the new board off and plugged in the previous board (not the original).

About 45 mins later ice dropped, checked the vents and still no air coming out the top, small draft coming in the bottom. I’m confused as to why its now making ice but still no fan working, I’m not going to try my original board because I can clearly see some fried components on it.

It’s been making ice non stop for 2 weeks now with no issues and there’s still no air coming in through the top supply vent, fridge maintaining 37F and freezer 0F on the display panel and with remote sensors. I can only assume that the draft coming in the bottom is now enough to cool the water and completely freeze it. Very strange
I had the same problem, fixed now after replacing both the board and fan. Just wanted to point out that the fan only works when the door is closed. To test hold the door switch up at the top up of the refrigerator so the light goes out, the fan should run.

If it's still intermittent I'd suggest checking to see if one of your switches is faulty.