• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

Another Samsung 4 Door French Door RF32FMQDBSR - Refrigerator Not Cold Enough (54 Degrees) / Freezer is Working

apparatus

Premium Member
Model Number
RF32FMQDBSR
Brand
Samsung
Model Number
RF32FMQDBSR
Brand
Samsung

My 4 door twin cooling Samsung refrigerator is no longer cooling the refrigerator section properly.

It started a few days ago when I noticed the refrigerator seemed warmer than usual but the temp reading was at 37 degrees. I unplugged the refrigerator and plugged it back in and the refrigerator temp displayed 54 degrees. I confirmed the display temp by testing with several different thermometers and the display is accurate (displaying 54 degrees). The freezer works fine.

I found the service manual posted here and performed the following:

Removed inside back panel to check for ice buildup on the evaporator – No ice, and no frost at all.
Checked fan at bottom back panel by compressors - Spins
Checked compressor - Both compressors in the back of the unit seem to be working, getting warm.
Ran computer in self diagnostic mode – no error codes on display
Circuit board LED on back of machine both display a steady red light after 10 minutes

I only see one fan in the back bottom behind the panel near the compressors which is called the machine compartment motor fan. I did not see any fan on the fridge evaporator and there is no mention of any other fans in the service manual.

Refrigerant is R134 in both the freezer and refrigerator and is listed on the tag.

When the unit is first plugged in, both LED’s on the PCB’s light up momentarily and then go off. So I am not sure if that is an LED blinking code indicating starting failure.

After about 10 minutes both LED’s come on and stay on. The manual says this LED steady on indicates normal operation. But the refrigerator temp won’t come down below 50 degrees. But the freezer still works and reaches correct temp.

After unplugging the unit, both LED’s flash 4 times. There is no reference to an unplugging LED blinking code in the manual.

Any ideas on what is wrong?
Whether it can be fixed?
Or if there is anyone competent local to me that is capable of diagnosing and fixing it?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I wasn't able to locate the service manual or tech data information on this model, so I can't look up and see what the LED light pattern is telling you.

It does sound like possibly a sealed system problem, you probably have a sealed system warranty on it, check your owners manual warranty page to see.

Then contact Samsung at 800-726-7864 to have a tech come out to see what's going on.

Jake

apparatus

Premium Member
Service manual:

Warranty only applies to original owner and only 5 years on the sealed system, and we got this fridge with the house we bought. This unit is 5.5 years old anyway. Interesting how the whole Samsung set stove, fridge, and cabinet microwave all broke at 5.5 years old within a few months of each other.

As far as I can tell from the service manual it has 2 compressors, 3 evaporators, and about 10 temperature sensors, a humidity sensor, and 4 fans.

The freezer temperature control is connected to the ice maker if the ice maker is turned on.
The right bottom freezer temperature control is also done by the cool select control.
In addition to the freezer temp control and refrigerator temp control.

I found the fridge fan. It seems like it runs occasionally. But it doesn't matter much because the evaporator isn't getting cold properly.

The manual states that the fridge is indirect cooling.

I have seen people say it is either the pcb, a temp sensor, door sensor, fan, diverter, or coolant leak.

A few people seem to have found coolant leaks and repaired them, and refilled coolant.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the compressors are running and you are getting little to no cooling at all in the REFRIGERATOR SECTION, you have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Jake

apparatus

Premium Member
Thanks.

It was a $4000 dollar fridge new. I am not familiar with who might actually be competent to fix it locally. I know Samsung says sealed system is not repairable and yet I see people repairing them, but they don't mind having you pay someone to come and tell you that.
I have read it is common for them to loose refrigerant over time.