• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake

Any recommendations--Above Counter Microwave

ericbro

Our 10 year old Sharp has died (and it is the magnetron, so it is definitely dead). Any recommendations on the best choice for a microwave?

Sue

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wow, I don't know how we missed your post here, sorry about that Sue.

The Whirlpool, Kenmore, GE, Samsung are good, I bought my Samsung in 1993 and i use it just about everyday, and i never have had a problem with it!:D

Jake

Econo Appliance

Appliance Tech
I have a large Frigidaire professional-series stainless steel microwave built in above my stove and it works beautifully, all the ones Jake mentioned are good too.

Magnetrons can be replaced, we do it a lot. The price difference between the repair and a new microwave isn't that big, some people like to keep the old one and some people like to spend a little more and get a new one.