Anyone have experience installing a defrost heat drain probe. Part has NO instructions.

AUricle

Premium Member
Model Number
Part #819043
Brand
Whirlpool
I received this part today, Part #819043 the purpose is to keep the freezer drain hole from plugging up with ice by conducting heat from the defrost heater via a conductive metal piece that hooks to the def heat element and hangs down into the drain hole. Very straight forward, no instruction needed.
However, also into the product picture, and the parts package, is this long sheet of what appears to be double
-sided adhesive tape with some ? insulating foam. I can't even imagine what it could be for, unless it is given to seal up the evaporator panel when putting it back?? Anyone know for sure?
I'm actually using this on a Kenmore upright freezer and the rear panel has a gasket that seals the evap compartment. I went to Servicematters.com to see an instruction sheet but the foam strips aren't even mentioned.

Last edited:

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

Is that what they want you to cut up for around the edges?
Link is here.

jeff.

AUricle

Premium Member
Ahh! OK. Thanks Jeff. So that is literally gasket material for sealing the evap coil/heater/fan section.
My freezer has a rubber gasket so I'll throw this in the 'parts' bin for some odd-ball future use. Thanks for the peek at the real instructions sheets. I guess maybe as a "guest" at servicematters.com I was not privy to see the good stuff.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Happy we could help.

jeff.