FIXED AOS 50 gal electric water heater trips high temp reset button and circuit breaker at different times

mrfixit2248

Premium Member
Model Number
ENT 50 100
Brand
Dual element 50 gal hot water heater, top and bottom elements. Top control has high temp overload and reset button.

When leaving to go up north for a few months, turn the water heater off at the circuit breaker box.

Upon returning, turn back on and wait for hot water. The last time, the high temp cutoff had to be reset a few times. The last time, after the high temp cutoff was reset and held, the circuit breaker in the box, opened, most likely due to a thermal overload vs a short.
Reset the breaker. Today the heater and all seems to be working, but this is not reliable enough.

What do you think is causing this? Can it be the elements, the thermostat, the resettable high temp device, or a combination of all?
Do you guys carry replacement parts? Please advise.:sulkiness:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good. Keep us posted.:)

Jake

mrfixit2248

Premium Member
The elements are shot. The upper one had corrosion and deep wound cracks in the metal rods near the connection plate, opposite the threads. I don't know how this one worked at all. The bottom one has a layer of crud all over it, to me looks like salt from the softener brine. Don't really understand how salt deposits can be getting into the tank of the hot water heater. The draining produced a bunch of salt deposits at the exit of the hose. I'm gonna order some new 4500 watt elements, in hopes that these get them through another 3-4 years of service.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake