• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ARB2257CSR Hear tiny motor turn on for a few seconds and then turn off. Happens frequently

dieselgg

Premium Member
Model Number
ARB2257CSR
Brand
Amana
Hi,

I have an Amana refrigerator Canadian model ARB2257CSR. This refrigerator comes with an ice maker and also a water dispenser. The water dispense is inside the refrigerator.

Lately, I have been hearing a small motor turn On for a few seconds and then turn off. This has been happening very frequent today. On other days, I would hear it a few times in a day, but today it has been happening throughout the day.

I think this is the same sound that I hear when freezer is preparing ice. In the freezer, when I have the handle/lever lowered down I would hear a motor turn On for ice production. But right now, the handle/lever is in the up position so the ice maker is turned off. I think it is the same sound but I could be wrong.

Any suggestions, would be appreciated.

dieselgg

Premium Member
Hi,

Just a brief follow-up. In addition to what I mentioned in my previous post, I just noticed that my freezer is beginning to thaw. It looks like it started from yesterday as the bread that I had in there has thawed completely, but meat that I have is still frozen.
I checked the temperature setting in the freezer and it was set to about 5. Setting 1 being the least coldest and 7 being the coldest. I checked the temperature of the milk and it is about 10 C (50F). I am pretty sure I did not keep the freezer door open or else the milk would not have been 10C.

Last year I did replace the start device/capacitor with this part. https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/W10613606/3023300?affSource=cj
The reason I did replace this part as I heard loud clicking coming from the compressor. I am hearing the same clicking again now, so I am wondering this part has already failed again.

I set the freezer to setting 7 and after about 15 mins, I hear the refrigerator working again, that is I think I hear the compressor working again.
I will check in the morning.

dieselgg

Premium Member
Jeff,

I will definitely check that. What about the other sound, tiny motor/pump sound comes on for a few seconds and then turns Off? Sound is similar to that of the sound after the ice maker is turned On to produce ice.
Regards,
Gus

dieselgg

Premium Member
Jeff,

An update:
- I replaced and installed the new start device and I hear no humming from the compressor. The temperature in the refrigerator and freezer are both around 12 deg C (53F) and the temperature has not changed in the past 4 hours.. Does this mean the compressor is done? This refrigerator has a manufacture date of 2002.
- In addition, the water inlet valve activates for a few seconds every 10 minutes .. very annoying. Does this mean the water inlet valve needs to be replaced too? I do not see any leaks behind the refrigerator.

Regards and thanks,
Gus

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
What about the other sound, tiny motor/pump sound comes on for a few seconds and then turns Off?
I thought that might be the compressor clicking on and off.
Air damper can make noises also.

I replaced and installed the new start device and I hear no humming from the compressor. The temperature in the refrigerator and freezer are both around 12 deg C (53F) and the temperature has not changed in the past 4 hours.. Does this mean the compressor is done?
Sounds very possible yes.

In addition, the water inlet valve activates for a few seconds every 10 minutes .
Is the water not hooked up to the refrigerator?...if yes, then the ice maker should be shut off and not left on.

jeff.

dieselgg

Premium Member
Jeff,

You're absolutely right, that buzzing sound that comes on for a few seconds every 10 minutes is in fact the compressor.
Anyways, the refrigerator is about 17 years old and I have decided to buy a new refrigerator.

Thanks for your assistance. If you had to choose between Whirlpool, Maytag and Kitchen-aid; what would you pick?
Looking to buy model with French doors and an ice cube maker.

If you are prohibited from mentioning a name brand, i understand :)

Regards and thanks,
Gus

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Maytag, Whirlpool...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................KA, in that order.

jeff.