• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ARS266ZBW Amana Refrigerator and Freezer warm, not cooling

sherjo

Premium Member
Model Number
ARS266ZBW
Brand
Amana
One day the freezer contents started melting. I increased freezer to coldest setting and waited overnight. Totally warm the next day. Lights on, slight humming constantly. Every couple minutes or so I hear a click and a louder humming which lasts about 8 seconds and ends with the same click. Can't find a diagram of this unit. On the back I unscrewed the small metal door on the bottom right. See a black, round ball which is hot. Compressor? To the left of this are metal louvers and air is coming out. The fan seems to be working. Don't know where the condenser coils are that I should be cleaning. In the freezer section there are louvers near the top. I hear whirring in here and a small amount of air might be coming from those louvers. Below that is a compartment that projects toward the door and has screws. I could undo those but will wait for some suggestions. Near the bottom of the freezer section are many vertical vents and through them I can see a couple of horizontal metal tubes (evaporator coils?) They do not seem cold. Lights, water work. Not sure how old it is. Hope it is not

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

sherjo

Premium Member
About an hour after I wrote my initial description I noticed it was no longer clicking and humming louder. Just the same low hum. The big black ball in back which I presume is the compressor is still hot. As I think about it I think when I checked it yesterday I caught it not clicking. Does this narrow the diagnosis? I will check tomorrow if it starts the click, louder hum cycle. I would like to know how to test for a bad compressor versus bad starter relay.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member