• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

ART104TFDW00 Amana Refrigerator compressor is not kicking on

redline808

Premium Member
Model Number
ART104TFDW00
Brand
Amana
Hello, I picked up a used Amana. It was plugged in and working when I picked it up. Then I plugged it back in after a few days and it seems like the compressor is not kicking on. it gets hot, but no typical hum of it pumping. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

ART104TFDW00 does not pull up as good, please recheck your model number. Read it from the model number tag on the machine.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It doesn't pull up at APP or RepairClinic: http://www.anrdoezrs.net/links/8373...rclinic.com/Shop-For-Parts?query=ART104TFDW00

At Sears it does. LOL go figure! LOL

Thanks BB, for those attachments!

Ok Redline808: You will need to unplug the refrigerator, then remove the compressor start relay from the side of the compressor, then shake it, if it rattles like a baby's toy rattle, then its bad.

If it does NOT rattle then ohm test it, put your meter on the lowest ohm setting, then put your meter probes in the 2 parallel holes on it, and it should read between 3-12 ohms, if not then its bad.

Here's the compressor start device relay for your model:
WPW10448874 Start-Dev

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its bad, order it.:)

Jake

redline808

Premium Member
The refrigerator was plugged in for 3 or 4 days with the broken start relay. Would any damage have been caused to the compressor for being plugged in with out running? I noticed the compressor was hot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, it shouldn't damage the compressor.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, keep us posted.:)

Jake

redline808

Premium Member
Okay, so I replaced the start relay and as soon as I plugged in the refrigerator, the compressor kicked on, I opened the freezer and the fan was starting to blow cold air, I put a bottle of water in the freezer and left. I got busy at work and didn't return for a week. So, yesterday I checked it, opened the freezer and it was warm, immediately went to the rear and touched the compressor, it was way hot and not running... any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then your compressor is likely bad, usually a extremely HOT compressor is a sure sign its bad, the condenser fan motor that's next to the compressor is running correct?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if so, then your compressor is bad internally(mechanically) There's no way to test for that, its very rare to see both the compressor start relay and compressor go bad at the same time. I've only seen it happen a couple times in 32 years of doing service calls.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you are correct, no condenser fan motor on this model, its a static condenser that mounts on the back of your refrigerator.

Jake