ASD2120DR Admiral Refrigerator Icemaker doesn't work

BigTex

Premium Member
Model Number
ASD2120DR
Brand
Admiral
My admiral ASD2120DR icemaker developed a leak causing water to drip into the bucket, melting some, and then freezing over. I decided to replace the icemaker. Suitable sub is a Frigidaire W10190978 model.I install it but can't see activity after several days. Is there a way to check if there is power being applied to this new icemaker? I know I have power at the connector.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

BigTex

Premium Member
Jeff,
Technically the fridge model # shows as ASD2120DR* . Interesting that we got different suitable replacements with our searches. I'm going to take W10190978 back to Lowe's for a refund and order The one you show. As for the link you provided, my model does not show any test points around the gear assembly. I removed the 3 screws, pulled off the cover and placed my meter directly on the terminals. Did not read any voltage. Either the new unit is faulty, or there's not a good connection at the plug. Thanks for your feedback.

jeff1

Staff member
Technically the fridge model # shows as ASD2120DR*
Won't have the wild card on the actual model/serial tag....it can on an energy guide sticker or a silent salesman sticker.

A real module style ice maker will have those test points. Don't think I have seen any without them...but who knows as there is so many cheap China parts nowadays :(
If you get power at the wall but not at the ice maker, check the thermal fuse inside the wire harness. It usually looks like a black slug and should show continuity.

jeff.

BigTex

Premium Member
Thanks Jeff. If I knew how to access that wire harness I might look at that fuse. I do know I'm getting voltage at the connector mounted to the rear of the freezer compartment. If my refrigerator owner's manual had a troubleshooting guide, or even a wiring schematic that might be helpful.

BigTex

Premium Member
BTW Jeff - the complete model # for fridge is ASD2120DRW. Is D7824706Q the correct replacement icemaker for this model fridge?

Does yours have the test points in front? Does it have the metal rod and cover with it? Does it include the wiring harness?

What would it cost me to have it shipped to me?

jeff1

Staff member
the complete model # for fridge is ASD2120DRW. Is D7824706Q the correct replacement icemaker for this model fridge?
Yes it is.

Does yours have the test points in front?
My ice maker is blue and I have to fill it up from the sink....but the one I linked to at RC does.

Does it include the wiring harness?
The new ice maker does not include a new cover, ice level arm, or wire harness, these components will need to be reused from original ice maker. The wire harness by itself is now NLA.
This one here says it comes with the plug in wire harness.

What would it cost me to have it shipped to me?
Sorry, you would have to ask them.

jeff.

BigTex

Premium Member
I don't have the original icemaker to reuse unfortunately. Supposedly, Supco makes a RIM501 that also fits and has all the components I need. I ordered it from a local supply co. We shall see if it works. Thanks so much for your guidance.

jeff1

Staff member
Some Supco stuff is ok and some is plain garbage!
Hoping for the best.

jeff.