FIXED Asko 1555 - Why hard plumb a DW?

pjstock

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Before i assume something is just a mistake , ive learned to ask if there might not be method to the apparent madness.

My sister in law has an Asko 1555 DW installed undercounter, probably 20 ywars ago. Recently no water is flowing. Normally i would yank it out and check the water intake system, which is inconveniently located in the far back RH corner near the very back of the machine.

But the machine is plumbed in with rigid copper pipe about 2-3 feet running diagonally across the underside of the unit and then down through the floor into the basement (where the shutoff valve and HW line are). Making it impossible to remove the unit without cuttng the copper.

If the plumbing and soldering hadnt been done so expertly i would say it was just an amateur error and chop away. But it's a work of art.

So before it attack, am i missing something? Is there any good reason this would have been so installed?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's interesting, I really don't know the answer to that, I've never seen a set-up like that before, and unfortunately I never have worked on a Asko dishwasher either.

Hopefully another tech. or member can help you on this, that's seen this kind of set up and advise you on how to proceed.

Every brand dishwasher(Kenmore, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Frigidaire, GE, Roper, Estate) I've worked on in my 30 years of appliance repair, the water inlet valve has always been in the front of the dishwasher.

Jake

pjstock

Premium Member
Just to close the loop on this thread. (not that anyone but me cares but..)
first, the ASKONA customer service person sent me a parts diagram/manual for this unit and it did appear that the water inlet is indeed on the front. But it wasn't visitble when the first two kick plates were removed.
Only once I peeled back the 3rd internal front panel I could see what was going on.
The water line runs up from the basement, diagonally across and under the bottom of the unit and then rises up 1" and returns to the front righthand side of the unit where it meets the water inlet valve.
and all the copper pipe skillfully misses the DW unit completely. So you could remove the unit without cutting the pipe.
In retrospect, this was the only way to install a water line from the basement and still be able to remove the unit for maintenance.

Lesson? When faced with an elegant piece of soldering, step back and think about whether there is not a better way...

over and out.

Peter

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's Peter for all that information, its always useful and may help another person out if they run into this on theirs.:)

Jake