FIXED ATF8000FS1 Cycles stop after a few minutes.

Piccolorangy

Premium Member
Model Number
ATF8000FS1
Brand
Frigidaire
Hello!
I loaded my 2x3 foot polyester rug in the machine yesterday. Set the machine at "Heavy Duty" and the cycle stopped after a few minutes. I cancelled and tried other settings such as "Delicate", same problem. Then I put it on "Spin", same problem. The rug is still in there soaking in filthy water at this point and I don't know how to proceed.

Thoughts?

THANK YOU in advance for any ideas/advice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Will the door not unlock? Or it just won't drain and spin?

If the door will open, then I'd first check for an obstruction in the drain pump itself.

Its very easy to get access to the drain pump. Lots of times I see these get clogged with stuff(likely on yours the backing of the polyester rug got into the drain pump) and not drain properly, just remove the hoses that connect to it and check to see if anything is inside it.

Get a bunch of old towels to soak up water that will come out. Or you can use hose pinch-off pliers to keep the water from flooding out.

Here's the drain pump for your model(Video to access it included in part link):
Drain Pump 137221600

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Piccolorangy

Premium Member
Thank you Jake!
I just now read your response (I thought I'd be getting an email when there was a response and since I hadn't received one I thought no one had responded so I'm super grateful you did!)
and I will dissemble the machine tomorrow and examine for obstruction!
I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check you spam/junk inbox, the email could be there.:)

Sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

Piccolorangy

Premium Member
Hi Jake!
You diagnosed correctly! I could not have done any of this without your guidance! Many many thanks!!
The culprits were wooden toothpicks. I tend to carry them around with me and so of course pockets aren't thoroughly checked before washing.
We found SO MUCH GUNK in there that had gotten caught in the tooth picks because they acted as a barrier in the outflow.
Also there was a huge amount of tiny tiny bits of rubber from the years I've washed those small rugs that have a rubber backing on them (in cold water and "hand wash". I don't think that stuff got caught in the toothpicks because it is so degraded into very small eensy pieces. I'm wondering if the pieces are just too heavy to get washed away in the outflow.
Anyway ALL BETTER now.
I'm gonna post a new question about the spin cycle now!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad that was the only problem.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake