FIXED Auger fork just spinning away.

cactusdr

Premium Member
Model Number
MSD2454GRW
Brand
Maytag
There's other posts on the forum about this situation, but the experts ask questions that I need answered, but the poster never gives the info the expert wants. So I'm sort of repeating a question, but I'll let the experts do their thing....I promise.
I stole this pic from another thread to illustrate, so I apologize if its copyrighted !!:)

On my Maytag everything works excellent except that yesterday no ice would dispense. I located the problem at the auger fork. When I push the door closed button and engage the ice dispenser, the flap opens, you hear the motor and can see the auger fork turning (with the basket out). As soon as you apply pressure to the auger fork it stops but the shaft just keeps on turning.

On my unit there's no nut (just like the picture) to unscrew to take the fork off so I'm wondering if it's possible to remove at all and repair. Seems like a massive waste if the entire motor has to go because the shaft is "stripped". Please advise and if you ask me a question, I will answer it directly and not go off on a tangent.

Thanks!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

cactusdr

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake. I had a sneaking suspicion that was the case and I do appreciate posting the parts for the job. One additional question if you don't mind: If the fork is threaded onto the shaft by turning it clockwise but the threads are now stripped, how do you suggest I remove the fork? Because if it is supposed to come off by "unscrewing" it, it just spins away.
Thanks ahead of time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, thats the fun part, I use a hacksaw to cut the yoke of the shaft, that whole auger motor assembly including the track the bucket rides on should pull out so you can do this outside the freezer. Should be about 4-6 screws you remove, then remove the electrical connector to it.

Jake

eejit

Premium Member
Can you weld the fork to the shaft?

I have a similar problem with my freezer (Maytag GC2227CDFB).

If the solution involves destroying both the motor and the existing fork, would it be possible to simply weld the fork to the shaft?

The risk is that (a) the weld breaks or (b) the next time the auger gets jammed or frozen, the motor may burn out. Neither of these risks seem to be worse than deliberately ruining the existing fork and motor?

Has anybody tried this.

cactusdr

Premium Member
It's what I ended up doing because my handyman has an acetylene torch and very good with things like this. It's been about 3 months now and everything works fine. I apologize for not reposting how the situation was solved.

eejit

Premium Member
I came up with a simpler solution.

I drilled a hole through the yoke and the motor shaft - no need to remove either - and used a small steel nail to act like a split pin, locking the yoke on the shaft (see pic). This seems to work.

IMG00142-20110922-2133.JPG