• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED Avallon Beverage Center--not cooling

HeatherJinMN

Premium Member
Model Number
ABR241SG
Hello all!

I have a 24" Avallon Beverage Center that we purchased four years ago that has stopped cooling. Per troubleshooting on the forums and online, I started by putting a new start relay (not sure if that's the correct terminology) and that didn't help. I'm just a basic handy homeowner so I don't have gadgets to check voltage and such. I'm guessing at this point the compressor is shot. I've sent a request into Avallon in case it could be under any kind of warranty, but can someone give me direction on what I should do.

The unit was $1000 so it wasn't a cheap purchase so if we can fix it for a normal amount, we are happy to do so. Will an appliance repair person come out and fix a beverage center and if so, what can I hope to expect the charge might be? From what I've read, I shouldn't try and fix this myself, so I'm happy to pay someone, but if the bill is going to be $500 or more, I'm tempted to purchase a new unit.

Looking for some sage advice, which I always get here!
Thanks Peeps!
H

HeatherJinMN

Premium Member
Hey thanks for posting the warranty for this....if it is the compressor, maybe they would cover it?? I did fill out their service form so we'll see...

Yes, it turns on, the readout says 39 degrees(what I set the cooling to), the fan is running and the motor (compressor) is as well.

Robert4

Premium Member
The warranty is only a limited warranty that does NOT include labor if the compressor is the issue.

Last edited:

HeatherJinMN

Premium Member
Update: I plugged the refrigerator back in yesterday afternoon so I could check it last night and see how warm it got. The compressor was very hot. The fan was running though. Not sure what that means but wanted to update you the page,

Robert4

Premium Member
So I think that means the compressor has failed, since the compressor runs, is very hot, and the fans are running. Has Avallon responded to you yet about your warranty?

HeatherJinMN

Premium Member
No I've heard nothing! I sent something last week and again yesterday.

So, any idea how much it might cost for a new compressor and the install? Trying to plan for the cost as well as research for something new one.....ugh!

Robert4

Premium Member
Try calling 1-866-471-7427 and see if they answer. If you reach someone, you could ask for a ball park figure as to what the labor cost might be and see if they also charge you a diagnostic fee too.

It won't be cheap, but I really don't know what they'd charge for labor on a beverage center. @Jake might know. I would assume somewhere around $200-300 for labor, and if they charge a separate diagnostic fee, maybe another $100 or so on top of that.

HeatherJinMN

Premium Member
Thanks Robert for the insight. I'll do just that so I can have an idea of what I may be looking at. Ugh! I sure hope they'll at least cover the compressor.....tbd

HeatherJinMN

Premium Member
That's what I was afraid of....ugh! I wish it was something I could do myself (if I can get the compressor covered that is). $1000 on a beverage frig you would think it would last longer. I hate the thought of starting the research process for a new one.....fingers cross Avallon will come through some one. Thanks for the help everyone. This place is invaluable!

paulhl

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Try calling 1-866-471-7427 and see if they answer. If you reach someone, you could ask for a ball park figure as to what the labor cost might be and see if they also charge you a diagnostic fee too.

It won't be cheap, but I really don't know what they'd charge for labor on a beverage center. @Jake might know. I would assume somewhere around $200-300 for labor, and if they charge a separate diagnostic fee, maybe another $100 or so on top of that.
Robert how long do you think it takes to replace a compressor in a unit that small? Then consider cost of freon, oxy & acetenyl, silver solder, and misc supplies and if they do it for less than $500.00 I'd be surprised. I know I wouldn't.

Robert4

Premium Member
Yeah, my guess it probably too low, unfortunately. I'm actually surprised that a company would want to replace a compressor on a smaller unit since it's basically a mini-fridge. I would have thought that if there was an issue under warranty, they would just replace the whole thing because it's more cost effective.

HeatherJinMN

Premium Member
Update: I plugged the unit last night for longer to see how hot it might get and the compressor got very hot and the fan was still going.

Tried to call the service number and I was told about a three minute wait--awesome! Well.....after five minutes the line dropped. I've sent in three service requests over the last two weeks so I'm guessing I'm going to be plum out of luck unless any of you sagely appliance Gods have any other suggestions? In the meantime, I'm starting my search for a new beverage center and will take suggestions :)

Robert4

Premium Member
Good find, Paul!

Their website also lists a different phone number: 1-866-319-5473. So maybe you could try calling and see if they'll answer the phone instead of waiting to hear back via email.

Good luck!

HeatherJinMN

Premium Member
Another update! Ironically after I sent the earlier update, I got an email back from them! I sent them an email right away letting them know, I actually had found the video already, purchased and installed the relay to no avail so I'm waiting again....will try the other phone number that Robert listed above....to be continued!!

Heather,

Thank you for contacting Living Direct. I am more than happy to assist with your request. I am more than happy to make an exception on your case as it turns out the Avalon unit does have a 5 limited warranty which does cover the compressor itself and in this case the relay is a part of the compressor so I'm more than happy to make the one time exception and send out the relay at no cost I will also provide some helpful tips on how to replace the relay if anybody is handy in the home I would recommend they replace the relay as it is an entry level job it does not require a technician to repair.

Please allow the 3 to 5 business days for the relay to arrive,

Typically when a unit is not cooling and the compressor is not running it is a simple part that needs to be replaced. I have included a video link below which shows how to make this repair on a similar unit to yours. Even though your unit may look a little different, the concept is the same as the one in the video.

Compressor Relay-

Thanks,
Jose

HeatherJinMN

Premium Member
HUGE UPDATE!

Guys! I have a huge update to report. I didn't want to report anything until it was true.......they gave me a new beverage center!!!

After exhausting all the troubleshooting tips, installing new relays and emailing the company to no avail, I tried both phone numbers listed above. The first one sent me through prompts and they ultimately dropped the line. The second phone number that Robert suggested sent me through prompts but got me to a live person. I explained what I had tried and asked about the compressor warranty (5 years but no labor included--my frig was about 4.5 years) and then he says...."here's what I can do..." and then he proceeds to tell me, he'll send out a new frig.

I don't know why, I didn't question and I'm still dumbfounded! It was delivered yesterday and I plugged it in and it works great! I thought it might be a refurbish but I'm pretty sure it's new as the unit changed a teeny bit. I'm just waiting on Fed Ex to pick up the old unit that we packaged up and got ready. I just can't believe the company would do this, but man, I scored!!

Thanks everyone for your help on this one! I love this forum and find great info and better yet, great people!

Heather